Different waiting period for benefits?

Does anyone have different waiting periods for benefits for salary & hourly employees? I'm getting conflicting information on whether that is possible or not.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, we do. Exempt employees are eligible for benefits the first of the month following date of hire. Non-exempt employees are eligible the first of the month following 60 days of employment.

Hope this helps.

~Kim
  • I don't believe there is anything illegal about offering different waiting periods. If it's written in your plan, is properly communicated and doesn't discriminate against a protected class it's legal. I do not think it is a good idea though. Why would salary have shorter waiting periods? Are they more important than the hourly folks? I don't think so.
  • Actually there is a good reason for different waiting periods. In our industry, salaried ee's receive benefits after three months. Our hourly employees must wait six months because of the high turnover among the hourly staff - saves the hassle of enrolling someone at three months and having them leave after four. In our experience, if an hourly ee stays with us for six months they are generally going to turn into a long-term ee.
  • Good point. In my industry it can breed mistrust and can help set class warfare and union activity in motion.