Vacation Time

Good Morning, Do any of you have a procedure in place for vacation time based on a calendar year vs a rolling year from hire date. We currently are using the rolling year method and I would like to change it.

Our policy gives you two full weeks after one full year is completed. No vacation time accrued throughout your first year. (All from Hire Date.) If you terminate within the first year nothing is due you.Vacation is to be taken in the 12 months following your hire date.

I want something that says vacation earned January through December 31st.(You have to work through 12-31-XX to obtain vacation.If you leave before it is gone. However,as of Jan 1st you are entitled to all vacation from previous year.

Any policies out there like this or ideas would be great.There has to be something better and easier then what we currently have.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We give vacation based on hire date, but it's a little bit similar to what you are looking for.

Currently:
    Employees receive two weeks of vacation after the first year, three weeks after nine years, and four weeks after twenty years.

Employees are, however, credited with one week of vacation at six months. They receive another week at one year, and those two weeks must last them the whole next year. Upon their second anniversary, we will cash out up to one week's worth of vacation (anything beyond that is lost) and they start over with the two weeks for the next year.

I suppose it could be modified for calendar year; I'm sure some places do it but it's a new one to me. I would feel you're creating new headaches, though - someone who begins work on January 2 will have the same amount of vacation as someone who begins on Dec 30?

I'm actually wishing we had an accrual per pay period system, but that's just me.
  • We use an accrual per month system. The last paydate of every month you accrue vacation hours. It works very well.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-17-05 AT 08:39AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Our vacation system is a calendar system. Every January 1 an employee earns their allotment of vacation for the year. The allotment is based on the employee's years of service as of December 31. I have managed both type of systems, hire date and calendar year, and I much prefer the calendar year system. Also, we do not allow employees to roll over unused vacation. We do issue some vacation during the year based on certain circumstances. For example a new hire will earn some vacation on their hire date anniversary. This way they don't have go over a year without any vacation time. We also give some "bonus" time during the year when employees hit certain service milestones. Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • CRS,
    That is just what I am looking for can you share your policy with me? I would appreciate it so much.

• CRS:

We have a system very close to that which you described. It was in-place before I got here. My question is, "How do you give credit to first year employees for the time worked between between Jan 1 & Dec 31?"

If you have it explained in a policy statement could you e-mail or fax (770-487-0840)it to me?

Thanks!
  • Our vacation policy is close to, but not quite, what you are looking for. All vacation time is awarded on May 1 each year. At that time, employees who have been with the company a full year earn one week paid vacation, two weeks after 2 years, etc. Vacation is use it or lose it before the next April 30. (May 1 was established years ago so that employees would have time available for the summer months. 8-| )

This system is pretty easy to track since it is awarded all at once, but I wish we could offer something for the first year people. Every year there is someone who just misses the line and has to wait another year for paid vacation time.

Also, our company uses the word 'awarded' for vacation time, instead of 'accrued' because we do not pay out for unused vacation time. If an employee quits they lose any unused vacation time. The company felt that 'accrued' implied 'earned' and that would require it to be paid out if not used. This way, it is considered a 'gift' from the company.