Employee Benefits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-26-04 AT 11:10AM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-26-04 AT 11:10 AM (CST)[/font]

We have a part-time employee who may be receiving more hours due to his work load. Does anyone know when a company (or if a company) has to offer benefits after a certain amount of hours worked? We offer health, dental and optical to our full time employees (40 hours)plus holiday hours. What is considered part-time and what is considered full-time?
We are a company located in Indiana. Is there a law pertaining to offering benefits? Do we have to offer benefits?
Thanks!!!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There is no federal law that requires an employer to offer benefits, even to full time employees.
  • I would defer to how your benefit SPD's and/or handbook defines full-time employee. You can always define it for yourself, but consistently apply that definition.
  • I agree, the definition is in your contracts with each benefit provider. We consider 30 hours or more per week as fulltime.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-02-04 AT 11:03AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I would also check your State law. I'm in Florida and in our Statutes they have a section 627.6563 which defines full-time employment, and for us that is an employee who has a normal workweek of 25 or more hours. It doesn't mandate benefits per se, but if an employer chooses to provide benefits, then this is applicable as a guide for how to define a full-time employee. Many employers use the 30 or more hours standard.

Also, for retirement/pension plan benefits, I believe that under the ERISA Federal Law, if an employee works for at least one year and a minimum of 1000 hours in that year, they are entitled to participate in the pension/retirement benefits plan.

And I have a question about benefit eligibility in general as well. Does anyone out there know of any other "1000 hour rule" applying to any other benefit other than this one (Pension/Welfare under ERISA)?

Thanks,
    Ana