Switched plans--tell me I did the right thing

OK--we made the switch from a traditional HMO ($15 copay for office visit; $50 per day for hospital stay; $7/$15/$30 drug benefit) to a high-deductible PPO w/HRA ($2000 ded for single; $4,000 ded for family; company pays for first half of ded in either case). If we had stayed with the HMO, our rates would increase 22% this year. Going with the PPO, our rates are decreasing 9% from our current rates. Company was willing to stay w/HMO, but thinking ahead we're pretty sure we would have had to switch at some point anyway.

So, the meeting with the employees is on Thursday. Please tell me we did the right thing in switching (i.e., any reassurance you can give me before the meeting on Thursday would be MUCH appreciated).

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why would you switch if you weren't already sure? You are going to get killed in that meeting if you don't already have sound business reasons why you made the switch. First off you saved 13% off their increase. That is a good reason. I think the jury is still out on high deductible plans. I think those plans are still just saving money short term by cost shifting. I believe the only way you can save money over the long term is to change ee's into health consumers. Insurance companies already tried to strong arm health care providers to save money and that hasn't worked. If the REAL consumer (the ee) does the strong arming, I think a difference can be made. Just my opinion.

How do you cover preventative health care?
  • I don't envy your position. I think I would have let the employees decide how much they were willing to pay extra and how risk adverse they were- or offer a plan that costs more and one that costs less with higher and lower risk on the employee. Yikes.
  • I do not envy your position right now. I would absolutely hate to have tell my employees that their health insurance has been switched from an HMO to a PPO let alone to a PPO plan with that high a deductible.

I would say be prepared for a lot of grumbling and very unhappy employees.

If I was in your position with a hike in rates on the HMO side (I offer both PPO and HMO plans to our employees) I would have looked into raising the co-pay amounts on the HMO plan to get a lower premium rather than switching to a PPO plan. I'm surprised your insurance agent didn't suggest that to you.

All water under the bridge now though.
  • In my opinion, the best thing to do at this point is go to that meeting armed with facts and try to be prepared for different questions and some unhappiness. Let us know how it goes. If I understand, the new plan would not cost me anything out of pocket til the er had paid 1,000. Is that right? If so, that would save me money cuz I never have that much in expense per year and I currently pay co-pay of 15.00 per visit, etc.
  • "If I understand, the new plan would not cost me anything out of pocket til the er had paid 1,000. Is that right?"

That is correct. Some of the "grumblings" are people saying, "But I don't have $1,000." But, yes, the er pays first, then the ee. And by that time, you're dealing with major medical expenses that would have out-of-pocket costs associated with them anyway--HMO or PPO.

• With the HRA, do they get to rollover the unused company portion? If so, that is a positive. The problem with that is if people wait to get treated for a condition and it gets worse and costs more than it originally would. Fiscally speaking, if they die because they waited for treatment, you'll save money, but realistically speaking nobody wants that. If you do have the rollover, I would promote that if they live a healthy lifestyle and don't need a lot of health care they will gradually build a nest egg that will cover them if something happens beyond their control. It could give them a sense of security.

How do you cover preventative care, such as physicals, mammograms, prostate screenings, etc? Are they applied to the deductible?
  • Depending on how many EEs you have, it appears on the surface that your company would have been much better served picking up the 22% increase than being at risk for the $1,000 or $2,000 possible deductible payment per EE. I'm no accountant but my limited business sense tells me your potential liability far outweighs the up-front cost of the increase and other than maybe a limited choice of providers, your EEs would have been much better served with the HMO.
  • Does the PPO deductible cover all office visits and treatment?
    Some PPO's do not include the office visits to your deductibles. Example:
    John goes to the doctor pays a straight 15.00 the doctor refers him to a lab for tests he pays another 15.00 only the lab would go towards deductible.
    What does the PPO cover? Does it offer something more than the HMO? Other than freedom to see a doctor or different doctors.

The deductible is pretty high but you are not comparing apples to apples here. In order to answer if it is the right thing we would need more details as to the plans and what were offered from your brief description your HMO coverage was very good but there are so many other options available in order to remain in an HMO I would have tried to look for a better less drastic solution but again not enough information.

Good Luck I would expect alot of questions from your employees.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-22-04 AT 07:41AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Check out the new Health Savings Accounts. With the high deductibe, the employee can save $$ pre-tax to cover medical expenses. This could work to their advantage. Instead of paying high premiums, the ee puts their money into an HSA. If they go beyond the $1000 you pay, they dip into their HSA.

As an employer you don't have to worry about administering it. The ee has to report savings and expenditures. The account can be set up at any bank with a trust department, as well as with some insurance companies.

My ee's currently pay over $1000 year for single coverage and almost $3000 for family premiums. With an HSA and no premium to pay, they would save money.

Note: make sure your plan qualifies as a high deductible plan under the HSA. There are some limitations. HSA's went into effect on Jan 1st of 2004, so it's new territory.
  • Apparently, I didn't come to the right place for support. Oh well--we all have to make tough decisions in our jobs, weighing moral standards, weighing costs, etc. This has just been one of those decisions to be made.

Just to answer some of the questions presented:
    Yes, the money in the HRA that does not get used rolls over.
    When we mapped it all out, the company is saving money unless someone uses 100% of their deductible--so even with our potential liability with the $1000 or $2000 share of the deductible, the company is still saving money.
    We have an FSA--is HSA different than HRA or FSA?

Thanks.

• Sorry if you feel that way about my comments, but I'd rather be kicked in the axx by my peers before I met with the ee's than be left to swim with the sharks. You are not going to get any false encouragement here. I gave what I thought was 2 positive comments. One about saving 13% and the other about the rollover.

I hope your ee's were nicer than we were.
  • Read back over your posts to the responses that came from your inquiry. You've defended your decision, and you come across as thinking your decision was the best option given the circumstances facing your organization. Stay in that mode, and you should do fine in the presentation phase. Of course, you'll have critics, but you would have had critics had you not switched. If you've done your homework, be as ready as you can be. That includes being prepared to discuss your employees' fears about the change. If you don't have answers to every question, be honest and commit to trying to find the answers. Hopefully, you'll have answers to most concerns that are raised. By all means, do not waiver during the presentation phase.

This is a good place to be challenged if you're sincere about learning, want to do a good job, and want to do what is beneficial for your organization's employees. I'd much more prefer to read written criticism that has some level of intelligence behind it (and have a chance to learn from it) than take someone yelling in my face in front of a group, calling me names, telling me I don't care, or saying who knows what.

• Paige, I would be the subject of a lynching if I tried to change our health from a PPO to a HMO. I take a survey each year to see if anyone has changed their mind, and it is always unanimous that we stay with a PPO. So I believe that your decision was good for your employee's health. As someone said previously, meeting a high deductible generally means a major health issue.

• Well--thank you all for the wide range of comments (sincerely). By saying that I wasn't "getting enough support," I guess I meant that more as--OK, tell me I'll get some backlash, but let me know that this too shall pass.

Several sides were presented in this discussion--those that said not such a great move, others that said well it has some pros and cons, and others who said if it was a choice that had to be made, it had to be made. I pretty much got the same responses from people here at work.

I really do feel better after reading the posts. I'm very surprised with the company that prefers PPO over HMO--more or less because I'm used to dealing with HMOs, but that's great that the employees are satisfied with the PPO.

Thanks, again, everyone.
  • "How did the meeting go?"

They (we had one in the morning and one in the afternoon) went OK. People were not happy, but at least it didn't break out into a riot. We only have about 28 on our plan.

People ARE very concerned. We do actually have a couple that understand this sort of thing is happening everywhere--it's a reality.

Of course the people who are complaining the most are the ones who need a lot of health care. Darn it! They're the ones driving up our costs. Most of these people are also low-income workers.

I really do understand the concern. The trick is getting people to look outside of their own bubbles. Yes, you have a lot of medical costs BUT do you realize that our carrier has taken a $50,000+ loss on our plan for the past 2 years? Do you realize there will come a time when our company may not be able to afford to offer as much of a benefit as we do now (we pay 70% of the total premium)? It's just very frustrating.

I acutally came away form the second meeting feeling pretty good--there didn't seem to be as much opposition there, and there were a couple of managers there who offered some supporting comments.

Thanks for asking.

• Glad it wasn't too terrible!
  • Sorry for the late response but, we are also looking at something similar. The major cause of our large increases is....high utilization. People don't understand that the more cost they incur to the plan, the more they are contributing to the problem. Not to say that if you need health care,you shouldn't use it. But things like using an emergency room as your primary care doctor instead of using an urgent care center (if it's open or available) or rushing off to the doctor because you saw a "trendy" new drug on tv that is guaranteed to cure your insomnia or sexual dysfunction. All this stuff drives up costs.

You are absolutely correct, Paige, that rates will continue to rise to the point where employers can no longer afford to provide health insurance benefits to employees.

We are examining several alternatives, keeping what we have which is a PPO or going to a HSA which is portable and the money does roll over and belong to the employee. In theory because it belongs to the employee, they will not be as free with "their" dollars. Maybe...maybe not.

There is no easy answer to this. We are forming an insurance task force made up of staff employees and educating them on the whys and wherefores of health insurance costs. Their mission is to go out and solicit ideas from other employees or at least let them know what's going on. I've found if people know what the score is, they tend not to get as upset as if you spring it on them at the last minute.
  • Where were you when I needed you?!?! =)

Really--it IS good to hear from someone who is in the same boat and understands the dilemma. You hit the nail on the head--it's all about high utilization. But, getting the employees to realize that isn't an easy task. Health care is an entitlement--to be used however is convenient for them.

The task force you are setting up sounds like a great idea. Good for getting employee's input and to give them a greater understanding of the dilemma as well (not to mention their backing and support when the decision needs to be announced).

One of our directors (who's not so much in favor of the change for her own personal reasons) called me this morning stating that people were coming to her, complaining, threatening to drop the plan, quit, etc. (yeah--happy Monday). I finally told her, here's the facts--we stay where we are and the company may not even be able to afford to keep paying 70% of the premium. We may only be able to afford 50% of the premium. That, of course, got her thinking. So she calls back later stating she has most of her employees convinced now that this is the way to go and in the long run, we will be better of. Sometimes you just gotta say it like it is.

Thanks for the response.
  • I wish you luck. We did a similar switch two years ago and found that it took a huge amount communication. Our single deductible is $1,000. Employees pay the first 250 and the company pays the next 750 through the Flexible benefits plan (section 125 plan). The unused funds to not roll over. The whole thing was confusing to employees. They thought they would get their money automatically - so we did lots of followup communication in writing. We worked with each person on their claims. But, overall the meeting was like watching deer in the headlights. Our initial increase would have been 62%! It was lowered to 25%. And only 8 percent of employees used their 750 allotment.

More importantly, it changed employee behavior and put employees in the drivers seat and made them more aware of costs. Now they have to process EOBs and understand them. I think we have developed some excellent health care consumers.

This year during the renewal announcement talk I had to give them a very detail explanation of the bid process, the results of the bids, plan designs we considered. We've created an educated group of people - which is great! Our experience mod rate was great and our rates only increased by 10 percent - which is good in Wisconsin.