Vacation Policies for Small Companies

I work for a small law firm of 11 employees (3 partners and 2 associates). The only staff that is non-exempt is the Receptionist and the two legal secretaries. There are 2 exempt paralegals.

My question is this: What do most small businesses like ours give their employees for vacation benefits at 5 years of service, 10 years of service, 15 years of service, etc? Is it accrued on a monthly basis and if so how much? Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I work for a small company with 35 employees. In most other companies, all the employees except the receptionist would be exempt, but the owners want to compensate employees for all the time they work, so everyone except the 4 managers is hourly (I have no idea how the owner and her husband classify themselves).

Everyone gets the same vacation benefits: two weeks the first year, prorated from your start date and three personal/sick days. Vacation is awarded 1st week in January, but is accrued monthly. It states in the employee handbook that if you take all your vacation, but leave before the end of the year, you must reimburse the company for unearned vacation time. Personal days are awarded the 1st week in July.

After 5 years, you get 3 weeks of vacation. We have only one 10 year employee so far, so there is no call yet to add vacation days beyond 3 weeks at five years.

Cam
  • Cam,
    Can you tell me how it is prorated during the first year? Thanks.
    Donna