Charging Smokers More

2»

Comments

• SMace:
    Thank you for sharing your information. I happen to agree that, while this is not an end-all cure to health care issues, it is certainly a way to start letting employees know that they need to take some responsibility for their own health care up front.
    I applaud you for taking that step and at least making some effort toward keeping costs down for your employees.
  • KIZZIE: I would make contact with my 3rd Party Administrator for consultation on the companies ability to charge a higher premium to smokers!

I know for certain that you can offer to all employees a special loan program for the smokers and non-smokers who choose to seek medical help in the process of "Stop Smoking". If the individual achieves success for one year, then the company could forgive the loan. I did this with my company about 18 years ago and the last I heard it was still in place. Many took the initial opportunity and many successfully got out of the smoking habit. Some did not and had to repay the loan. The loan was for $200.00 to be used for a specific physician assisted stop smoking program.

As a private company the employer can pretty much set the parameters for benefits and perks any way they want to do it. It must then be the choice of the employee if your benefit fits my needs to join your company or to stay in your company.

You would probably need to grandfather any current employee who smokes for about one year to successfully get off of the smoking habit. It only took me about 5 days after recovering from stomach surgery to be free of the nasty smoking habit. Once out of the hospital I never lit up another weed to burn.

Let us know if higher premium cost is allowed in your self funded medical plan.

PORK
  • We starting charging smokers more on March 1. We announced this 8 months ago. We charge $15/mth more and if they quit by the end of our plan year, and have been quit for at least 120 days - we double their money back. We call it the Pay to Quit plan. It went over well - and some employees have quit or are seriously thinking about it. We did have our attorneys review the program first.
  • Interesting idea. I think I might have to start smoking, just so I could quit. x}>
  • SMace,

Your comment underscores my concern. How are you guys monitoring this, if at all?

DISCLAIMER: This information is provided for informational purposes only and is not offered as legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. No person should act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. Do not send us information until you speak with one of our lawyers and get authorization to send that information to us.