pre-paid legal services

does anyone offer this to their employees? do the employees like it and use it? we looked into once and had a presentation given. at first it looked good to us but then when you really looked at it close it seems like such a rip off. their coverage is so limited and who knows what kind of lawyer you are going to have. no one wanted to sign up for it after the presentation. that was a couple of years ago and we pretty much have all the same employees and this new sales guy for it keeps calling and bugging me about it. I told him that no one was interested and he insists that if he can do a presentation that they would be. He calls me all the time and I don't answer his calls so he leaves me messages and I never call him back. when will he stop calling me!?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • He'll stop calling when you tell him that you have no interest in the plan and you will instigate any further contact. Just say "no."
  • I thought I was saying no when I told him we weren't interested the first time. I guess I will have to be more clear.
  • Lola,
    To read another brief discussion about this same topic from back in March, click on the search icon at the top of this page. Do a search for "prepaid legal services." And don't bother clicking on the "search archives" option. The item you're seeking will pop up without going through the more time-consuming search of the entire archives. Let me know if you have any trouble finding it. Hope this helps. tk

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068
  • We started offering pre-paid legal services about 2 years ago. I signed up for it thinking it would be a good deal and in a years time I used it once to update my will. Needless to say I cancelled the benefit for myself. Out of 110 current employees I have 12 who have the benefit and I don't think any of those people have ever used it. They pay a monthly benefit for nothing, but it is all funded by the employees.
  • We didn't have much success with signing up a lot of employees, probably 10 out of 130. I had one employee who got a speeding ticket and the lawyer from prepaid services did not show up for her court date. Needless to say, she cancelled it immediately.
  • Lola,
    I have the same aggresive sales people here in Wisconsin. I think every independent insurance agent thinks this is the greatest thing. I handled it by putting a question in an annual benefits survey. There wasn't enough interest to move forward. I got the same pitch about having a meeting - but we said without the inital interest we didn't want to waste our time.