hippa help

I work for a small employer with 30 employees. We have a fully insured medical and dental plan. The HIPPA requirements have me confused. I am not sure if we are "self administered" or not. (This is one of the deciding questions to see if you fall under HIPPA or not). I do see an employees initial health application before fowarding it to the insurance company and pay the premiums monthly, but other than these two items, the insurance company takes care of everything else.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As long as you only provide enrollment/termination information to the insurance company, are not self-funded, and see no more than summary information (nothing identifiable) you do not have to comply with HIPAA. Any employee health information you may receive as an employer (short-term disability, FML, workers' comp, etc.) is considered Individually Identifiable Health Information and is not Protected Health Information. PHI is generated by a provider or health plan, not usually an employer with a fully-funded plan.