Sick Leave Policy

What is your sick leave policy? How many sick days per year? Are any of these unused sick leave days carried over and if so for how long? Is there any incentive you provide to the employee if they do not use any of their sick leave and if so what is the incentive? Is your policy if you do not use all of your sick leave then you lose it at the end of the year?

Anyone mind sharing their policy? If so, that would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In the first year of employment, a salaried ee can take a max of one day per month paid sick leave to a max of five. Beginning the second year, and forever thereafter, a max of ten paid sick days is allowed and there is absolutely no carryover or accumulation. The only 'reward' is that if one has perfect attendance during the year (no sick leave) they get a $200 gift certificate.
  • Hope this helps. Sick Leave:Employees who regularly work 21 or more hours per week accrue sick leave at the rate of .0462 minutes per hour paid. Sick leave may be accumulated to a maximum of 1044 hours on December 31.Any leave accumulated in excess of 1044 hours on December 31 will be lost. Employees regularly working less than 21 hours per week do not earn sick leave.Employees accrue sick leave from the initial date of hire, but cannot use sick leave until the first 3-month period of employment is successfully completed. Provided, however, that an employee who is injured on the job during the first 3-month period of employment, may use earned sick leave for a job related injury. Employees injured on the job may use earned sick leave to make up the difference between what is paid by Labor and Industries to reach 100% of compensation, i.e., L&I pays 75%; employee can use accrued sick leave to make up the other 25%.Employees must notify their supervisor or designee within 15 minutes of their normal start time on the first day of absence in order to be eligible for sick leave.Employees must notify their supervisor or designee prior to leaving work if they become ill or injured while on the job.Sick leave may be taken in cases of illness or injury and for routine doctor, dentist, chiropractic or psychiatric office visits.An employee may use accrued sick leave to care for a spouse, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent who has a serious health or emergency condition or child with a health condition that requires treatment or supervision.Division Directors may require an employee to obtain a doctor's certificate prior to returning to work if an absence due to illness exceeds 2 days. Any employee off 5 or more consecutive workdays due to illness or injury must have a signed statement from their physician authorizing the employee to return to work.Use of sick leave must be reported on the employee's time sheet.Authorized sick leave is paid at the employee's regular rate. An employee using sick leave with insufficient accrued sick leave available will have their time charged to annual leave.Each January 1, one third of an employee's sick leave earned and not used during the previous year will be vested and will be added to the employee's annual leave balances.

• Full time hourly employees earn at 1.54 hours per biweekly pay period (40 hours), exempt earn at 3.08 (80 hours). It can't be used until initial 3 month probationary period is completed, and can accrue to 320 hours - tho I have never seen it happen!

If sick for three or more days you must return with a full doctor's release.
  • Neveradull- Can you please explain in more detail how the employees unsued sick leave is vested and applied to the employee's annual leave balance? Does the employee at sometime every get to cash in these vested unused sick leave?

I think this is something our company may be interested in providing, but I really need to know more of how this works.

Thanks!