USERRA Help Needed

We have a short term military leave policy, but not a long term. I've just had an employee deployed, and I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants. I don't want to mis-step, because I have about 950 employees, so he may be the first but probably not the last.

We're looking at a a 12-week military leave that we will treat very much like FMLA. Then he'll be offered COBRA. He contributes to a flex benefit program (125) that he wants to continue. Do I COBRA that also?

We provide on our short term policy 120 hours of military pay per year reimbursable by the employee at their military rate of pay. I'm going to give this to him at 10 hours per week for the next 12 weeks so his health insurance premium and flex benefit are covered for that length of time. I don't know if the long term policy will be reimbursable - seems kind of weak to do that when someone is overseas.

Anyway, what happens to the rest of his benefits? We have company paid life insurance, LTD, and EAP, employee paid extended and/or benefit life (this particular employee has elected both). He also has a 401k contribution which I assume justs stops when he runs out of paid benefit time. I've downloaded several things from USERRA but can't find the answers to these questions.

Comments