Disability and vacation pay

Can an employer require an employee to forfeit their vacation if it falls during the period of time an employee is on an approved disability?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have several questions. Does your company fall under the FMLA guidelines? Does this disability qualify under FMLA? Does the employee qualify for FMLA? Does your compan1y policy state that vacation and/or PTO runs concurrently?
    x:-/
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-07-02 AT 11:22AM (CST)[/font][p]Hint: If your answer to Ritaanz's four questions is 'yes', then the answer to your question is 'yes'. I'm assuming, semantically, that 'forfeit' and 'take concurrently' have the same practical effect on the ee's vacation bank. Although forfeit is a more punitive word and I wouldn't use it in my policy. It has the connotation that one is being screwed out of something, as opposed to being required to 'take concurrently'.
  • We run our vacation and leave times concurrently. However, if the person qualifies for STD or other types of paid disability, we don't make them burn the vac days.