Help! Save our sick leave

Our company currently grants 10 days (80 hours) of sick leave per year. This sick leave starts accruing from date of hire and can be carried over from year to year, up to a maximum of 240 hours. Our corporate offices want to change this policy to NO accrual for the first six months for new hires, and then accrue at a rate of 3.33 hours per month which would equal a total of 40 hours a year (and only 20 hours the first year of employment during the second six months). This means our sick leave would basically be cut in half!

What kind of policies do other companies have out there? Only 40 hours (5 days) a year seems pretty cheap to me. Have I just been spoiled all these years?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't have sick leave. We have personal time off which includes sick leave. It accrues at 1.33 days per month, starting when a person is hired. We chose not to distinguish between vacation and sick leave so that a person who has used up all their vacation doesn't have to call in sick when they need to take care of personal business like car tag renewal. My experience with designated sick leave is that folks will call in sick when they aren't because they want to take a day. We are, in effect, forcing them to lie.
  • We are a service industry; so hours are extremely valuable to us. We used to allow 40 hours of sick time annually with a use it or lose policy. Most employees used an average of 24 hours out of this time. Many employees never used sick time and some employees managed to get sick exactly 40 hours year in and year out. We just changed to a PTO policy and added 5 days on to everyone's vacation accrual (but eliminated a floating holiday at the same time).

This PTO policy has a provision to carry over up to 40 hours annually, then will pay out anything in excess of that. This will be a benefit to those employees who are highly billable and would rather have the cash than the time off.

Most of the feedback has been very positive so far. The only complaints have been from those employees that "scheduled" their sick time. You know the ones that are sick on the Friday before every holiday or on opening day for baseball, etc.

• Our sick leave policy is 7 days per year earned (4.67 hours per month). The sick leave is carried over to the next year and the maximum accrual is 280 hours. Similar to what you have now but not quite as good.

A problem I have where I work is employees want all the Vac/Sic/Per to be combined in one so they can use it for whatever they want. I know a lot of companies do it that way, but in my opinion, we give sick time to keep people sick at home. It benefits everyone. Some employees complain that they are never sick (so not true) but that's what they say. I tell them if that is the case, to think of their sick leave as a short term disability policy.

sorry, I kind of strayed from your question. x:-8
  • We combine ours into PTO. It is basically 12 days a year sick plus vacation which increases the longer the employee stays with us. It comes out to 128 hours accrued in 0-1 yr, 176 hours for 2-3 yrs, 216 for 4-14, and 256 for 15 yrs and above (mgrs get 40 more for each level). Maximum accrued is 23 months of accrual for each level.

I really prefer this method as it gives healthy employees extra vacation time, while giving less healthy employees plenty of time available to take care of things. Also, it is never an issue about whether or not you can take sick time for a sick child as it all comes out of the same bank.

The only drawback comes when an employee leaves. They only receive 35% of accrued leave. That is not bad for 1st year employees, but kind of hard on employees who have been here for years.
  • Carol: With us, the year during which the ee is hired, he/she has one day per month sick leave to a maximum of five. Beginning the second year and subsequent years, effective January 1 of each year the ee has a maximum of ten days per year. We don't allow them to accumulate the leave or carry it over; although we do have a salaried ee short term disability program that can kick in. We also allow the ee to take this sick leave at times when an immediate family member must be cared for by the ee.
  • We get 96.2 hours of sick leave accrual each year (3.7 hours per bi-weekly pay period). When an employee accrues more than 340 hours of sick leave, they get half of anything over that when the leave the company. We cannot carry forward more than 420 hours each year, so we make employees sell back half of anything over that at the end of every year. Not too many complaints about that requirement.

I like the policy because it does eventually reward long term employees who are able to minimize their sick days, and does not punish those who do need to take care of medical issues by lowering the amount of vacation they have available to recharge.

In addition, our vacation accruals are as follows:

0 to 1 year 1.0 hour per pay period 6.5 days
    1 to 5 years 2.0 hours per pay period 13 days
    5 to 10 years 3.0 hours per pay period 19.5 days
    10 years + 4.0 hours per pay period 26 days

There have been mutterings in our company about the possibility of changing to a PTO policy, but I feel very strongly that a generous policy like ours promotes the idea that people have lives outside the office. I want people to take care of themselves and be their best while they are here. Do we have a person or two abuse the policy? On occasion yes, but not to a degree that mandates a change.

The fact is benefits are expensive any way you slice them. We'll see if I'm singing the same happy tune in a year or two. Good luck!

• 40 hours sick per year. We prorate in year one based on when hired. Nonexempts can't take it in the first 6 months.

We don't combine sick and vacation b/c it creates larger payout obligation problems in Illinois when they terminate. (Quirk in our state that makes PTO banks unattractive.)

We do payout out unused sick days at the end of each calendar year to our active ees though. This seems to prevent the mentality that everyone is suddently sick in the latter half of December.
  • We accrue one day per month up to a maximum of 60 days. There are some industry differences - I think that manufacturing tends to have less sick leave than other industries.