EE has Shingles

An employee notified me that she has been diagnosed with shingles and advised to stay away from those pregnant, with comprimised immune systems and who haven't yet had chicken pox. We have advised her to stay home until the doctor clears her to return to work.

Two questions:

What would you do regarding notifying those with whom she has been in contact in the office (other than those she knows to be pregnant)? Shingles is apparently transferred by touch. She works in a group of about 30. For obvious reasons she wants her condition kept confidential, but she also wants to do what is needed.

Is this something I should be asking her physician to rule on? If not, what resources might I use to figure out what the health risk is? We don't have a physician on retainer.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • check with local health department. they will have guidelines and suggestions, as well as precaution guidelines.

good luck!
  • As far as I know, you are not required to disclose the presence of chicken pox, shingles, or other diseases in the work place, but I could be wrong.

If it were me, I would not disclose anything. The employee requested her condition be kept confidential, and you have a duty to uphold that confidentiality. Unless the employee gives you express permission, I wouldn't touch this can of worms!
  • This is a tough one. I agree that you need to be concerned with the employee's confidentiality; but you also need to be concerned with the welfare of your other employees. I don't know enough about shingles to respond specifically to your situation, but here are some things I would consider. What is the potential impact on an employee who is not notified that he/she may have been exposed? Would early diagnosis and treatment make a difference in the severity of the symptoms and disease? Could the condition be fatal if not treated early?

I would do some research on shingles. If you determine that early diagnosis and treatment makes a difference, I would notify others in a generic way. By that I mean, perhaps, a note that it has come to the company's attention that employees may have been exposed to a person with shingles. I would not identify the employee. Your other employees may guess who exposed them, but at least you will not have identified the person.

You might also check with your workers' comp. provider. If another employee contracts the disease, that employee may have a workers' comp. claim as the disease was contracted at work. You might also want to set up an on-site clinic to test and vaccinate employees (if this is a condition where vaccination is appropriate). Your workers' comp. carrier may be willing to absorb or split the cost of the clinic.
  • I got this from webmd.com-

"What causes shingles?
    Shingles occurs when the virus that causes chickenpox starts up again in your body. After you get better from chickenpox, the virus "sleeps" (is dormant) in your nerve roots. In some people, it stays dormant forever. In others, the virus "wakes up" when disease, stress, or aging weakens the immune system. It is not clear why this happens. But after the virus becomes active again, it can only cause shingles, not chickenpox.

You can't catch shingles from someone else who has shingles."

Please note the last line.
  • sorry- sent that before I was finished- anyway,

a bit more reading should lead you to after the rash is gone- it is not considered *catchy*.

If you are concerned, I, too, would notify all ees that there has been an exposure risk, and leave it at that. You do not need to ID any particulr ee.
  • This is timely. My spouse just had shingles. His doctor said it was not necessary for him to stay home from work, it is only contageous if another already has a cut on their skin and they do come in direct contact with the oozing sore/rash. Some people might be at a slightly higher risk only because of the weaker immune system, but those are usually children or elderly. Those types usually aren't in the workforce and again, they would have to come into direct contact with the rash and the rash would have to be active. A better reason to stay home from work is because they can be incredibly painful and unsightly. If the face is the area that the shingles have chosen to appear - well who wants to go around the work place looking like that?
  • I'm not an expert on shingles, but CDC would be a good source of info as well. It is a form of retrovirus, similar to other herpes viruses--both genital and nongenital. About 80% of the US population has a nongenital form--more commonly known as cold sores in and around the mouth. When the virus is active and wounds are open and seeping, physical contact can transmit the virus. When the virus is inactive, or sores are healing (dry & not seeping), the risk of transmission is low.

We have some workers who suffer from shingles, and some folks truly suffer. My finding has been that the ones who need to stay home (just prior to and during an active stage) do so because of pain. They come back into the work environment when the painful stage passes and coworkers never know about the outbreak unless the workers chooses to share the info.