12 month Rollback vs Calendar vs 12 month measured forward?

Our policy of using the calendar year to approve FML is not working out. I'm unclear on the other two (2) options I've been reading about. How does the rollback differ from the measure forward, and what is working for you? We are a public entity, and have approx. 200 employees. Suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My personal preference is the 12 month looking forward method. It is easiest (to me) to administer, and eliminates many of the calendar year problems.

About 2 months or so ago, there was a HUGE thread on the difference between rollback and look forward on this forum.

Good luck!
  • We use the 12 month rolling method looking backward. That way the employee cannot "stack" their leave.

And yes, there was a lengthy discussion recently about this topic. I'm sure you will find it if you perform a search of this Forum.
  • Thanks for the quick response. I was unable to find the thread you mention, I went back about 6 months. Perhaps the original subject was different?

How do you use the 12 month looking forward method? Our C.O. has mentioned counting the new year upon return from the last leave. IOW- ee returns on January 2 from 12 weeks, would not be eligible again until January 3rd of the next year. I thought it was counted from the beginning of the leave period.

Thanks again!
  • Here is what we do:

An employee asks for leave. I look back to see if they have used any of their 12 weeks in the last 12 months. If the answer is no, they have 12 weeks coming to them.

If they used 4 weeks 6 months ago, they would have 8 weeks coming to them now, and another 4 weeks in another 6 months.

If the employee took 12 weeks on 1/3/06, they would be eligible for 1 day on 1/3/07. If they didn't use it, they would be eligible for 2 days on 1/4/07, etc, etc.

Hope this helps.

Nae
  • Thanks, it does; it looks like you're counting from the first day of leave. If EE takes 12 weeks beginning Jan 1- they would be eligilble for another 12 weeks the next Jan 1, but only one day at a time.

Keeping the timing to the 12 weeks, the EE could return from 12 weeks on March 1, and be eligible for another 12 weeks on Jan 1, be it 1 day at a time, with actual time worked at only 9 months between leaves.

I have such an ee, who is quickly becoming a thorn in my side.

Thanks for your input.