Ergonomic Chair Request

We have had a request from an employee for an ergonomic chair because of back problems. She had previously asked for this and we gave her a support to put on the back of her chair which she stated was helpful. She also went to physical therapy and has been given a series of exercises to do at home.

Prior to coming to work at our facility, she had had surgery for her back.

This is the second request we have had from her on this. The doctor's statement read "Please consider providing ergonomic desk chair. This has helped in the past."

These chairs run from $500-$1,000. What are our obligations to provide an expensive chair for this employee which may or may not help her situation.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The question is: is this a reasonable accomodation? I think a court would say yes.

I would give her the chair. In fact, I would have started with it. $1,000 is a lot less than what you will pay if she sues you for not accomodating her.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Your company could end up paying for her future back problems any way you look at it.

Depending on SC WC law, she might be able to claim WC b/c her job aggravates her pre-existing condition. The WC expenses would start at $200 for each physical therapy session and could easily hit $30K if she needs surgery.

If WC doesn't cover it, then your company's health in$urance policy would pay for it.

I don't see any legal obligation for your company to buy the chair, but it might be a sound investment.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • I agree - buying the chair is worth the money in the long run, even though the "reasonable accomodation" rule with the ADA shouldn't apply in the case.

Just be prepared for everyone else wanting an ergonomic chair. We recently went through our entire office and spent over $5000 upgrading chairs and purchasing foot rests, wrist supports, monitor stands, etc.

We also distribute an office ergonomic stretching program. If anyone would like a copy, please email me at [email]hrcontact@laars.com[/email].
  • Would you please send me a copy at
    [email]peggie.charlton@electrolux.com[/email]

Thanks
  • We recently went thru this. Final offer was we would contribute the amount we normally spend on a new, good, chair. EE could pick out the chair and up the difference.
  • I agree that if you have a limit which is too little for what she wants, give her a choice of what you could buy. If she wants more, she could pay the difference. (However, what do you do when they leave... who gets the chair?)

Also, another thought is contact your local office furniture dealership (Steelcase, Hon, Herman Miller, etc.) They have folks on staff that should be able to help you and give you choices. They can look at what the employee does and what type of chair would be best for this and what her problem might be. You would be surprised now that the cost of these chairs has gone down. (They may also have other suggestions than just a new chair.) However, you may not want to buy the employee the top of the line, leather chair (unless they are the CFO). Tell the person you are working with what your budge might be. I would let the doctor review it as well since he is apparently the one telling her to get this. However, again, you control the final purchase and the cost.

E Wart