WORK STRESS

EMPLOYEE CALLS AND FAXES A DR NOTE STATING THEY CAN NOT WORK.
EMPLOYEE DOES NOT GIVE REASON FOR HOW LONG OR WHY.
LATER SLIPS IN THE CONVERSATION THEY ARE OUT FOR WORK STRESS.
IS THIS COVERED? HOW WOULD YOU ADDRESS?
MANY THANKS

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Forward all the information the employee provided to you over to your workers comp carrier and let them address the situation. Good luck.
  • I believe if it came down to being a mental health issue it would be covered. I once had an employee do the same thing. She kept calling in sick and when we called to follow-up we were told she just needed "some time" and we should "leave her alone." Upon return her doctor's note was from a psychiatrist listed stress as the reason for being out. We covered it under our STD policy but WC was never begun (by either party).

Hope this helps a little.

Ro
  • Hi Merry

Immediately contact the employee and let them know that they need to file a claim with your worker comp. insurance carrier & then the ee has to wait to see if the claim is approved. If your policies allow, then send the ee FML paperwork & let the ee know that they have to have a doctor certify their illness & the doctor should send the paperwork back immediately. Discuss with the employee the implications (discipline, etc.) should she fail to get the paperwork done. Finally, contact your insurance carrier & have them follow up with the employee. PS - I would follow up with the ee's supervisor and see what's been happening in the workplace...