Allergy to fragrances

I posted on the wrong site so here it goes again.
I have a long term ee that says she is allergic to all forms fo fragrances. She relates it causes her to lose time from work the day after someone visits her wearing something with a scent. I have been asked to investigate what sort of "reasonable accomodation" we can make to keep her from getting sick. The only one I can come up with is to send out a company wide email telling everyone we are forbidding the use of any kind of personal hygiene product that contains a scent and no one can wear any cologne, after shave, lotion, etc. that has a fragrance. I need some help here. The ee is valuable to the organization. But, how far can I go with this??

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Is she in a position where she may also have to interact with customers, vendors, and other non-employees? While you might be able to control whether or not the EEs use these products, you may not be able to do so for others with which your company regularly has contact.

Start the interactive process with the EE - does her allergy doctor specify what kinds of fragrance causes the problem. Is is just perfumes, after shave and the like? Or does the allergic reaction also come from shampoos, scented soaps, etc? This may help you set parameters on what can be done.
  • Do a search of this Forum. This subject has been discussed many times with some very good advice given.
  • Within the past year there was a lawsuit addressing this very issue after an employee with the same condition was terminated. The company won because it did try to accommodate her the best it could. Lawyers on this forum can probably cite the case.

That said, I believe that asking your other EE's to not wear any fragrence is unreasonable. Asking them to be "reasonable" and not excessive with it would be more appropriate, I think.
  • We also had a similar situation. What we did was first ask all employees who had regular contact with this employee to minimize the fragrances that they use on their body to what they use in their office; such things from perfurme to plug in fragrance type of appliances. We also purchased two Inonic air purifiers; one for her office and the other down the hall from her office. This pretty much nipped all complaints as we did everything possible to accommodate this situation.

FYI, my husband is also allergic to all types of fragrances. He can tolerate some types but most will really affect him. If he is sprayed with for example any type of perfume - he will get at least a first degree burn on his skin. It affects all individuals differently but I would say as long as you make a reasonable effort in helping with this situation, that your employee will appreciate it. Just make sure that you would do this for any and all employees so as to not to be seen as favoritism.
  • All good advice. And then.... we have an ee that claims to be alergic to all sorts of stuff. Every quarter, or how ever often, the local bug sprayer would come out and spray their building she would have all sorts of symptons for days. We changed the schedule for the bug spraying and had them come in when no ee's were in the building. It turns out that when she did not know they had been there to spray the building the spray had no impact on her.
    Good luck
  • I can attest to reaction to the interior extermination. Several years ago I broke out in hives unmercifully. Now they come late in the day, just before closing, on a Friday, and I leave when they get here. By Monday, it's dissipated and I have no reaction. Hives were bad-a wire brush wouldn't have relieved it! I wouldn't wish on anyone . . . well, maybe.
  • We have this issue in our medical practice and ask that employees and patients refrain from wearing fragrances. Some people pay no attention and if they come in smelling like they took a bath in perfume, they are counseled about it. I am one of those people who are affected by certain fragraces and I never know which one it will be...gives me a severe migraine. Most softly scented fragrances do not bother me, but if it is strong, floral and overpowering, watch out!

We have one allergist in town that cancels patients appointments if they come in wearing any type of fragrance. They are sent letters in their new patient packet advising them of this and asking that they refrain from wearing scents.