"My Pet is a Service Animal"

We have a "no pets" policy in our workplace. A staff member has been bringing in her dog on and off for a while. When I spoke to her about it she told me that it was because she didn't want to leave it at home. She had a kid in school who came home to the dog daily, and that kid is now in college.
Dogloving Employee is a very smart and resourceful woman. She knows that pets that are service animals must be accommodated in the workplace. She said at one point that if she had to get the dog certified she would do so.
I have now heard through the grapevine that DE is saying that the dog doesn't have to be certified "officially" which seems to be true from the FAQ on the DOJ website. So I assume that I can't create a policy that requires a certification for a service animal in my workplace. (correct me if that assumption is wrong) If I can't do that, can I create a policy that requires someone wishing to bring their "service animal" in to describe via memo the disability and the way in which the animal assists them?
Of course if the nature of the service were obvious (assisting blind employee) I wouldn't bother. But here's the kicker... I hear through the same grapevine that DE claims that her disability is a mental one and the dog assists her. At which point I throw up my hands and cry "uncle."

Help, o wise ones!

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just curious, what kind of workplace are we talking about?
  • >Just curious, what kind of workplace are we
    >talking about?

Paul, we're an educational consulting firm.
  • My preliminary diagnosis is that this ee suffers from OOPD - Obnoxious/Opportunistic Personality Disorder. But I doubt that helps you much.

If this woman presents her dog as a service animal, then that's your cue to initiate the ADA interactive process in which you may request medical documentation of the condition to determine whether it is an ADA-covered disability. I think it's time to call her bluff and enforce your no pets rule until she can establish her "disability."

I really want to hear how this one turns out. Good luck!
  • I was actually hoping you might comment on this Whirl given that you are both a HR and doggie person.

I can't imagine that anyone can just decide on their own that their dog is a service animal.

• You most certainly can require the animal to be a certified service animal. I would make it a policy of the employer to require a copy of the certification. Only service animals are given automatic clearance to enter all buildings. Animals in training need permission of the building or business. (I have been researching raising service dogs. The Seeing Eye Dog and Service Dogs websites can be helpful - they don't like to see people trying to abuse the good their trained animals are doing)
  • "She has been bringing in her dog on and off a while." If you have a no pets policy then how/why was this ever allowed to begin? Did the ee claim that her pet was a service animal from the beginning? Tell the ee that they must prove the animal is a service animal for them to be allowed in the building. What does the water cooler grapevine say about the ee's "condition" that requires the ee to have a service animal in the work place. If this is allowed to continue, no telling who will bring in what kind of pet next.
    Good luck.
  • About the "certified service animal" -- let her know that SHE also needs documentation that this certified animal is assisting her for her condition.

I can see it now......she sends the dog to get certified for, say, helping blind people then comes back and produces the certification....so since he is a "certified" animal she wants to bring him to work even though she is not blind....get my point?

Each needs the certification.
  • Well, it began because we have no written policy. The person was told and I thought she was going to start working at home. She travels a lot so I couldn't really tell and hadn't heart anything. The landlord has a written policy which I repeat when asked, but I confess I don't go after the one-offs (person brings the dog on the way to a vet appointment and hides the pet under the desk type of thing). This slowly came back to my attention through others, and I heard about the service animal positioning when we circulated the landlord's policy again.
    I will certainly keep you all posted on the next go-round in this saga!

• We are a non-profit Outpatient Counseling Agency for kids. We have a Pet-Policy which does not allow pets, with the following exception: Guide dogs acocmpanying a blind or deaf person; Any certified Service Dog or Service Dog in Training with its owner as approved by the Exec Dir; Certified Animal Assisted Therapy Dogs participating in therapy sessions.

Actually, in my Agency we have two therapists who have certified their dogs through Delta Society, along with certifying themselves. This enables them to bring their dog to counseling sessions at our agency and to bring their dog to various schools where they perform counseling for kids. Their dogs are called "Certified Therapy Dogs" through Delta Society. I, on the other hand, am not a counselor, but I too bring my "Certified Animal Assisited Activity Dog" to work with me. We are also both certified. The difference is that my dog not go into counseling sessions with kids, but interacts with visitors to the agency, mostly kids. He is the Mascot for our agency, he greets the kids who come in for counseling; they can pet him, talk to him, give him treats, and it helps them work out their issues. Staff here have come to expect "Bailey" to be here every day. He relieves their stress, attends all meetings, outings, Board Meetings, and everyone accepts him. So I guess I'm pretty lucky to be able to have him at work with me(he's a 7 yr old Golden Retriever).
    I would absolutely require your employee to provide the necessary certification for her and her dog as well as a doctor's certification as to her disability.
  • Our local city hall has had a cat for years until someone (who probably didn't get the variance they wanted) made an issue of it and forced the city to create a policy that only service animals be allowed.

The cat was the best part of city hall in my opinion.

In the high tech hiring frenzy of the mid to late nineties, many companies were allowing employees to bring pets to work as part of "work life balance".

My sense is that many of those "perks" (drop your laundry off at the office, onsite childcare, wear shorts to work, flexible schedules, free food) have not survived any better than the dot coms.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-21-06 AT 10:56AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Paul, why couldn't the cat have been grandfathered in.....seriously.

I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANY LOL's OUT THERE!!
  • Other factor to take into account would be the other team members - and whether they would be allergic to the dog.
  • The drama continues. The employee claims that she is getting the dog certified and will present me with papers that we will have to comply with. While she says this is an ADA issue, she absolutely refuses to have a conversation about what the disability is. She doesn't at all acknowledge that this falls into the scenario that we have any control over, in others words that we get to know what the disability is and offer solutions that might address it, one of which might be a service animal. By the way, I'm guessing that the certification she's going for is that of a therapy animal not a service animal. Which is okay, if it's legitimate I think we can honor our other employees who want us to limit animals in the workplace and still accommodate her.
    I wonder if she is cleverly demonstrating her disability but refusing to acknowledge the employer's view of ADA. Mama Mia!

• Look, you only have to provide a reasonable accomodation after the interactive ADA process has worked out what that is.

Whirlwind is right on with her advice, follow it and the EE will have to bring in the medical documentation that starts that process.

This EE is just trying to scam you and I think you know this.
  • This post brings to mind what happened to us a couple of years ago in our medical practice. We have had a "no children" rule for some time because employees would bring their children to work with them to avoid day care or if they were sick, they would bring them to work before taking them to the doctor to avoid using PTO time.

Anyway...we then had to put in a "no pets" policy because we had a physician who was bringing his puppy to work with him. The dog was peeing and pooping all over the place (what you really want in a medical practice). The doctor made a big joke out of it and was introducing the dog as his "assistant".

I love dogs as much as anyone could, but I don't think my Yorkies would qualify as service animals.
  • So - any new chapters in this saga?
  • On hold, Marc, thanks for asking. The employee's medical practitioner is on vacation until mid-August and she will bring me documentation then. Then starts my end of it -- is it an ADA illness that merits consideration for accommodation? Is this the only accommodtion and can we grant it? I still don't have very good answers for what kind of certification dogs might get who provide assistance for conditions other than the obvious ones (blindness, etc.), but I have a couple of leads.

HR = Never a Dull Moment.

• As someone named, Toto, I am curious. Have you been allowing DE to bring the dog to work these last 3 months while waiting for the certification from the DE’s medical practitioner? And if the certification is that the DE needs assistance will it need to be from “that dog” or does the dog need to meet a standard? I assume this is not the first challenging issue you have had with this ee???

PS: If this does qualify, couldn’t all of us in HR use a “mental service animal” occasionally after dealing with problems like this? X;-)
  • Caroliso,
    I’m sure many of us are still wondering how this saga is going. x:-/
    I attended some ADA training last month given by an EEOC lawyer that was excellent. Part of it focused on “reasonable” and documentation. She didn’t do “lawyer speak” or try to avoid hard questions. Very worthwhile for all of us that had different levels of ADA knowledge.
    So anyway, what’s the status and if still ongoing, please see my previous post asking a couple questions?