Need help with Termination of WC EE

This is my first post on the forums - sorry it's under these circumstances!

I have an ee who is in danger of violating our absence policies - he left work to see a doctor in relation to pain from his injury under WC, then was given the rest of the day off. He had a note from the doctor excusing him from the time he was at the doctor's office. The ee has not returned to work yet - he went to the doctor last Thursday. He called in on Monday, but did not call in on Friday or Tuesday. There is a chance the ee misunderstood the dr note, and believes he is to return when he feels better.

We cannot get in contact with the ee. He is not answering the phone, and if he does call in, we are going to tell him he must obtain a dr's note excusing him from all the days off (this is pursuant to a workplace policy re: 2+ days missed from work). If he cannot obtain a dr's note, we will terminate.

My question is, if he honestly believes he has been excused per the original dr's note, can we terminate him? Under our policies, after 2 unexcused absences (no call no shows), upon the 3rd you can be terminated. Today would be his 3rd unexcused absence. Because the ee has not been to work, we have not been able to notify him that he is in danger of termination if he has another unexcused absence.

Any help? Ideas?? Commiseration??

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't you just love it when you want to fire somebody for not showing up for work, but you can't because they haven't shown up for work?

If the doctor didn't disable him from being at work, the W/C carrier and you don't owe him anything as far as pay.

To answer your question,NeedCoffee, (NeedCoffee?!?) you have reasonably tried to contact him and are within your rights to terminate. I would be well backed with documentation because terms involving W/C are always sticky. Eventually, you will hear from him and I would press him for a legitimate answer. I wouldn't buy a story about him not understanding a simple doctor instruction. In the meantime, you are not losing anything, but I wouldn't go beyond two weeks of trying to contact him. After that, I would terminate. You also may try your W/C carrier. Have them try to contact him.

Welcome to the forum. With some of the things that come up here, you'll find that most of us here don't need coffee as much as we need a drink.
  • I would send him a letter, you can choose to use either certified mail or certificate of mailing, informing him that his employment is terminated effective today unless he can provide valid medical certification of the need for his being off work since last Thursday.

Even IF he did receive medical cerification of the need for his being off work that still does not excuse him from contacting the company regarding his absences in accordance with your policy.

Does the EE have an answering machine? If so I would go ahead and leave a message informing him that his employment was in jeopardy and follow that up with a letter informing him that his employment will be terminated effective today unless he can provide a valid certification for the medical need for his being off work as well as a logical explanation regarding WHY he hasn't called in each day.

In our company, I am the only one who can excuse someone from calling in each day and once that authorization is given I notify the production supervisors accordingly.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the help guys! I guess it is one of those things where we know we're in the right, but just want someone else to agree with us!

Unfortunately the ee doesn't have an answering machine, and there's also a language barrier, so I think a written letter will probably be the best bet.
  • Could of issues, again, I call this self termination (no call now show). Also, I would talk with your w/c carrier. They may have talked with the employee and may have more info that you do (and employee thought that they had the info.) The employee could still be covered under worker's comp, even if you terminate him (in most states).
    Also, I would document the dates and times you have tried to reach him with now answer. (Make sure you do it at different times during the day and you have an interpreter available if there is a language barrier.) After the 3 days no call no show, write him letter that explains policy and what he did and that you accept his resignation. I send one certified, but also send another regular mail. This way if he won't sign the certified, and the regular mail one is never returned, you know that he got it.
    One last thing, it doesn't hurt to ask around the company and find out if anyone there might know anything about him and how to reach him. Let the questioning show that your are concerned since you haven't heard from him. Also Gossip flies (around the place of employment as well as back to him.)
    Good Luck
    E Wart
  • Agree with LindaS on the written notification part of voluntary resignation. Leave yourself an out in the letter in case there was some sort of misunderstand. I can't imagine what it might be, but HR folks hear everything from "my dog chewed my leg off" to "though I successfully manage a family & budget and will file for unemployment at the blink of an eye, simple doctor's orders are more than I can manage."

The point is that you should leave yourself some latitute 'just in case' but get the message out there as quickly as possible. The burden of proof on delivering the message will be your reasonable attempt, not necessarily proof that the employee/ex employee actually received it.

Exercise all of your options in the W/C process as well--get all the information you can get. You don't need the employee's authorization to do so with W/C.
  • Ditto on the recommendation for communicating via certified mail. You mention that he had a Dr's note, but has not returned o work since the injury. Have you seen the note or talked to the Dr. regarding the work restrictions or need for follow up treatment? I would find out as much as you can from the Dr regarding the injury and treatment and determine if there is any room for misinterpretation before you actually pull the trigger on his employment. Showing that you did all that was possible to obtain information on his work status, extent of injury and treatment regimen will go a long way in defending a possible retaliatory discharge claim. The employee does have an obligation to keep you informed and to report absences. Make sure you have that clearly spelled out in any policies regarding workplace injuries -YOU MUST KEEP US INFORMED OF YOUR WORK STATUS, WORK RESTRICTIONS, SCHEDULED FOLLOW-UP APPOINTMENTS AND PROMPTLY REPORT ANY AND ALL ABSENCES ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR INJURY/TREATMENT.
  • Agree with all. Additionally, have you sent FMLA paperwork. You know he was sick. He has been out more than three consecutive days. I would send paperwork certified return receipt as well. Don't know if it is concurrent with your WC, but you need to address FMLA so you can't get nailed later for violating his rights. Afterall, you have been "put on notice" for FMLA. Good luck!