Osha reporting

I am completing my osha reporting for my workers comp. claims for 2003 (i know i'm a little late...better late than never). Here's my question - If I filed a claim, but it was denied, must i still report it on the osha form 300?

Thanks.
-T

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My common sense tells me that if it was denied it was not a work related injury and thus would not be on the report. We both know that common sense does not always prevail. I wouldn't put in on there.
  • I guess I would need a little more information. Just a WC denial does not necessarily mean the event was not work related or that it should or shouldn't be recorded. Don't get me wrong, I am not the type to record an event on the 300 log just to record something.

If the event was a result of a work place issue/situation/injury/medical treatment beyond first-aid/etc, and it meets the OSHA recording criteria, you need to record it. If after the fact you deem the record to be in error you have the option to line through the event on the 300 log.
  • Safety is correct. It is hard to keep OSHA Recordkeeping separate from w/c claims, but they are both governed by different agencies. OSHA is federal and w/c is state. Try to switch hats when determining OSHA recordability.

Safety W.
  • Gray area...............even though it seems it should not be. Did they get hurt at work and receive medical treatment? If no I would say not recordable. If a questionable claim, as to if it happened at work, again, I would say no not recordable. Repetitive motion and WC did not attribute it to work........hmmmm maybe? Did work aggravate it?
    Then to top it all off.......OSHA being the brainiacs that they are has this letter of interpretation out. [url]http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=24735[/url]

One of the example is if an employee get into a fight with another co-worker while walking from parking lot, to work, not clocked in and they say it is an OSHA recordable. That is bullsh*t!!!! There comes a point with something like that you say no, screw them and take your chances. If you are reporting all legitimate injuries, they will not have much to question and really it is unlikely that they would find out about it.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • ....and T; you are more than 'a little bit late'!
  • T, in NC any incident that an employee has is reported to W/C. Those that do not require medical attention still get reported "for information only" to our W/C carrier. Depending on the type of incident/injury determines if I log it on the OSHA log. I have had several people fall on ice while on duty (home health agency) but did not require medical attention. I still reported it to our W/C and filed the NC-19 and incident report in file for future reference, but did not record it on the OSHA log. Hope this helps a little bit.

Don, you are picking again. ha
  • I do not report our first aid injuries to our WC administrator because they consider it a claim when computing their admin charges. We argued a little, but they agreed that I did not have to report them. It may not save a lot of money, but every $ counts.