threat of injury

We have an employee who had a back injury the second month of his employment. He was off work & on limited duty for about a year. He became very satisfied in the modified duty job and asked for a job change to the transitional position on a permanent basis. In the meantime while the company accommodated "his needs", the employee fought treatments coming up with new pains. Our doctors found that he is purely going through the aging process. Wouldn 't we all want to feel like we did at 17 years old? Finally, the individual is back to work with out any restrictions. So far, so good. Management is looking for ways to make the company a lean, mean machine & hours are constantly being looked at as a major issue in the big picture. When the manager spoke with the department as a whole stating hours were being looked at & that management will be trying to bring hours closer to a 45 to 50 hour range if possible, this individual told his fellow employee, " I think it is time to have another back injury". I feel the issue should be addressed, however, I don 't want him to feel his rights are being violated as a result of reporting an injury. The fellow employee has provided a signed written statement of what was said. Your thoughts?

Comments