Interpreter for the deaf?

I am in Alabama. If a deaf person asks that WE pay for an interpreter to help them fill out an application with us -- are we obligated to pay for it. This person had someone call for her and ask this question. One of our associates told them we could not pay for it. They faxed over a letter saying under the ADA we are obligated to pay.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-03-04 AT 04:29PM (CST)[/font][br][br]You must make reasonable accommodaiton. But, you don't have to provide an interpreter (I assume Amslan) if there are other just as effective ways to have the application completed accurately and the applicant sign it. Providing an interpreter is a reasonable accommodaiton under ADA.

The EEOC's Technical Assistance Manual for Title I (Employment) proivides the following information:

"Some examples of reasonable accommodation include:

making existing facilities used by employees readily accessible to, and usable by, an individual with a disability;
    job restructuring;
    modifying work schedules;
    reassignment to a vacant position;
    acquiring or modifying equipment or devices;
    adjusting or modifying examinations, training materials, or policies;
    providing qualified readers or interpreters.

An employer is not required to lower quality or quantity standards to make an accommodation. Nor is an employer obligated to provide personal use items, such as glasses or hearing aids, as accommodations."

Even though this is at the application statge you need to have the ability to allow the indivual apply for the position.

The Manual proivdes the following guidance:

"It may be necessary to obtain a qualified interpreter for a job interview, because for many jobs the applicant and interviewer must communicate fully and effectively to evaluate whether the applicant is qualified to do the job. Once hired, however, if the individual is doing clerical work, research, computer applications, or other job tasks that do not require much verbal communication, an interpreter may only be needed occasionally. Interpretation may be necessary for training situations, staff meetings or an employee party, so that this person can fully participate in these functions. Communication on the job may be handled through different means, depending on the situation, such as written notes, 'signing' by other employees who have received basic sign language training, or by typing on a computer or typewriter.

"People with hearing impairments have different communication needs and use different modes of communication. Some use signing in American Sign Language, but others use sign language that has different manual codes. Some people rely on an oral interpreter who silently mouths words spoken by others to make them easier to lip read. Many hearing-impaired people use their voices to communicate, and some combine talking and signing. The individual should be consulted to determine the most effective means of communication."

• Just curious... what kind of application do you have that a person with a hearing impairment would need an interpreter for?
  • That thought struck me too, JM. This might explain;

We have an employee who is completely deaf. She gets by with hand signals, written notes and lip reading, and sign language with those who understand it.

Her written language is very difficult to understand - kind of like translating spanish to english (or vice versa) literally. The words just don't go in the order we are accustomed to and it's difficult to understand the meaning. When we have formal conversations with her, we bring in an interpreter.

I wouldn't have thought you'd need to provide an interpreter to assist an applicant in completing the application. I would expect to hire one when conducting an an interview.