Hats at work

To what extent do you feel you would accommodate an employee wearing a hat at work due to a 'skin condition on the top of the head'?

It has no impact on the daily job duties, but is a factor when clients are in the office. The employee claims he has to wear it while being in direct as well as indirect sunlight. It seems to have no effect on any other area other than the top of his head.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What's your setting? Did a doctor recommend he wear a hat? Is it disruptive? Is their an end in sight? Are there alternative types of hats that may appear more acceptable than others?
  • The setting is business casual, but when a client comes in, the hats are to come off. Nothing in writing yet from a doctor (we are in the process of obtaining this). He has suggested a different, more "professional" type of hat to wear, and his manager might give that a try in the meantime.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-24-04 AT 09:27AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I dunno. Weird. Never heard of someone having to wear a hat indoors due to a need to avoid indirect sunlight. I hate to question the guy's integrity. Does he indicate it will be a lasting condition? I would think air and light would help whatever it was to heal. A Fedora would look goofy unless he had a pinstriped suit and violin case. But, a baseball cap would look odd too. I would tend to think in terms of 'can we move him' or can we unscrew some flourescent bulbs. But, let us know what the medical paperwork indicates.

I'm in the dark and will admit to having on a dunce's hat with this one.
  • I hear ya - I do question it somewhat as well....I guess we all get a bit cynical in this profession, huh?

I will be very curious to see what the medical info states - but I will be even more curious to see how this impacts his ability to do what is on his job description, if it does at all. I will report back if and when I get anything.
  • Well, finally, I have some info from this employee. Not what I requested, but a letter from a doctor stating that he has a dermatological problem of the scalp that requires a head covering. He continues on by thanking us for considering him in the event that such a covering may impact dress code.

Our next step was then to tell him that we would accept another more "professional" type of hat instead of the standard backwards-baseball cap and once we get the ADA Reasonable Accommodation questionnaire back, we will evaluate again.

Any additional thoughts from anyone on this?
  • What is a "more professional hat"?
  • Honestly, that was my response too, Whatever. A hat is a hat is a hat, as far as I'm concerned.
  • A more professional hat would be anything that you would find being worn at a nice July garden party where you see seersucker suits and flowing cotton dresses. Any of those would be appropriate in this particular instance.
  • I have an update on this and I need some input.

I just received the form back from the dr. that addresses specific accommodations, and his doctor stated that this condition does affect his ability to perform some of the essential functions of his job (and he was provided with a specific explanation of his duties). The impact it has is that he has "social embarrassment and psychological distress due to disfigurement".
    There was no reference to any of the specific job duties and how this prevents him from performing any one of them.

So my next question is, can we tell him that he cannot wear a hat on days when nobody is allowed to wear one because there is an important client visiting? Or are we being too insensitive??

• What about those scully caps, you know, the kind that Irish men wear (atleast in Boston they do). Its not soooo bad if the guy's got to wear a hat.
  • So, how's the guy in the green fedora working out and what was the resolution of this?

By the way, wouldn't a guy in a hat at work call more attention his way than some knot on his head? Or was it shaped like a body part? Just wondering.
  • What about a toupee? Covers the head and isn't a hat :-) . . .