Eronomics Chair Request

I have an employee who claims her back hurts because she need and $800 ergonomics chair. Her chiropractor suggested it. She was not hurt on the job. She did not have this probem when she was hired 3 years ago. Is the company obligated to purchase this chair for her?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Obligated is a strong word, but it may be the intelligent thing to do.

Poor ergonomics can create a variety of issues, many of which can turn into workers comp and STD claims which may cost the company more in the long run. We contacted local office furniture stores. They did ergonomic analysis of workstations for free. Of course, they are tying to sell you thier products in exchange.

You may need to do this as a defensive move because once one EE gets a new chair, they all seem to need one. With the study, you have defensible evidence regarding who needs it and who does not. Be realistic about it, often companies do not spend money in this area but need to.
  • If you do go with ergonomic chairs (which is a great idea) get someone to come in and show your employees how to use them and fit the chair to their height. There are so many knobs and levers on these chairs and not knowing what each does to attain a proper fit is a waste of a $800.00 chair.

You mention that the employee did not have a back condition 3 years ago...after 3 years of sitting in a lousy chair, It's not surprising she's got one now. Posture has something to do with it but its easier to have better posture in a good supportive chair.

• Thank you for your quick responses. This employee seems to be very needy and once we buy the chair, I am afraid she will want something else. We try to be equitable to all our staff, but non profit organization don't have a hefty budget with which to work. I will consider her request.
  • I would not recommend purchasing an $800 chair based purely on the suggestion of a chiropractor. Chiropractors, regardless of the good they might or might not do, have one goal and that is to keep the patient in repetitive therapy visits as long as insurance will pay. Good office chairs can be had for 150 bucks. Office chairs should not be older than seven years, be reasonably functional, preferably have front-back tilt ability, arm rests with vertical mobility and proper lumbar support.

Chiropractic visits may qualify one for intermittent FMLA visits, but no FMLA situation 'requires' accommodation. I would inspect the chair she has and if it seems reasonably sound and fit and funtional, I would tell her that the company declines the request for the chair.

I suspect you are right that once you start accommodating, both she and the rest of the workforce will begin to fantacize about what else they may milk you for.
  • I agree with Don but would also add that you should get some info to give her about the proper way to sit, hold your arms and hands when you type, etc. You could probably get the info for free from a local health care provider or do a google search. If you want to spend some money you could get someone to come in and perform an ergo analysis of the ee.

An $800 chair ain't the answer. Having a chair described above by Don and sitting properly and having a work station properly adjusted is. I wouldn't be surprised if the chiro gets a cut on the chair.

If you deal with it that way, you have given her solutions to her problems at minimal expense.
  • We had a similar request from an ee and after talking with her it was suggested that she try an inexpensive (compared to a new chair)lumbar support that was fitted to her present chair. So far so good.
    Good luck,
    Dutch2
  • We've been thru this with new chairs. As soon as one person gets one....they all have an excuse for why they need one.

I would not take a chiropractor's "suggestion" that you buy an $800 chair for this employee. Good chairs can be had for much less money. As one of the posters stated, most of the problem stems from the way employees sit at their desk..slumped down in the chair, legs crossed over, etc. A reasonably priced chair and good instruction on posture is the key. Office equipment sales people will be happy to help you with this issue.

I remember when Bill Clinton signed the ergonomics bill right before he left office, we had several employees all of a sudden develop back pain. When we informed them the legislation had been repealed, it miraculously went away!

• I agree that you should not rush out and buy a chair. But do look at the work area. Sometimes there are other things you can do to help make a work area more comfortable. Desks & chairs need to be the correct height and level.

After starting a new job 3 years ago I was experiencing severe low back pain. The floor in my office is so unlevel that I can't lay a pencil on my desk without it rolling off.

I mentioned this to my chiropractor & he suggested finding a way to level the floor! Out of the question! I ended up taking the seat off my chair & inserting washers under one side of the seat so when I sit at my desk I am sitting level. Thank goodness it worked.

Cherrye

• My company has helped me twice now, first by replacing a too-large old chair with an inexpensive one that could be raised or lowered. $100. More recently they paid for an ergonomic keyboard - I have carpal tunnel and cysts on nerves in my right wrist. $70. These efforts made me feel important and cared for, besides helping me feeling better. That $800 price tag raised a red flag for me.