Safety

I am Director of HR and now have Safety reporting to me too. The individual seems to have a lot of time on his hands....I have asked this person for information regarding the yearly safety training schedule and was not impressed with what I got. We are currently working to improve this. I am not comfortable with some of the answers I get about training and record keeping for training. In addition, I want this person to take a more active role in accident investigation and follow-up. This is a new area for me and I want to make sure the current Safety Coordinator is covering all the areas that should be done. I am looking for a reference or source or something to help me conduct an audit of this function so that I can objectively evaluate the current safety function to ensure it is meets all OSHA requirements. I have gone to the OSHA websit and have gotten some information. To give an example, recently there was an issue with lifting. The employee (who had returned from WC) said the items she was required to lift were heavier than her restrictions. I got involved and actually weighed the items. Sure enough they were hearvier (than even what the job description stated) The Department Manager said about a year ago (before safety reported to HR and prior to my becoming the HR Director) she had asked the Safety Coordinator the evaluate the situation. According to her, the Safety Coordinator came to the area looked at the situations and said the items were not to heavy. When I found this out I had a conversation with the Safety Coordinator to find out what happened and he verified the Manaer's account. I asked him if he weighed the items and he said no. I pointed out that it was necessary to actually weigh items and verify with the job description etc. Any information would be helpful!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can call your Worker's Comp carrier - I'm sure that they will have lots of information to pass along to you. It's what they do for a living.
  • I would also contact the workers' comp carrier. They have a great deal of information. Also, a least once a year, the carrier sends in an expert who tours our plants and then sits down with us to discuss what, if anything, should be done to improve safety. This is followed up by a letter reviewing the meeting and, often, literature on new items that are available. It has been very helpful.
  • You either have a Safety Director that doesn't know his job or worse yet, doesn't care. He needs to conduct a JHA (job hazard analysis) for every job and get very specific about lifting, bending, safety regs. He should analyze everyting about the jobs. By the way, you will probably be held accountable for any injury if you knowingly let the person perform the job and you said that it was within the bounds of a safe work process. Put the Safety Director's heels to the fire before you get blamed for his stupidity.

• The suggestion that the WC carrier come out to perform an evaluation are excellent. But I have a couple of questions for you also. First is the Safety Coordinator doing this full time or is it additional responsibilities that have been pushed off on the individual? What is his background and training? Is he a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Associate Safety Professional (ASP)? Do they have a safety degree? In the past has the company been supportive of what he has been trying to achieve? Does the company have appropriate expectations and commitment to the resources needed to accomplish them?
    Sounds like there may have been lower expectations in the past, but that does not let him off the hook for not pushing to get the appropriate things done anyway. Myself I always went with the attitude that I would make the company do the right thing and focus on educating those above me as to what is required.
    If he/she is not even weighing objects when there is a complaint about something being outside the individuals restrictions that is not a good sign. Could be an indication that you need to evaluate this person's fit and start over. Sounds like if you have to go that route that you will still be money ahead.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
    former safety manager, safety coordinator, safety leader, safety director and safety administrator. :-D

• Thanks for the info - I will follow-up on the suggestions. I have a Safety Coordinator who came out of Security.
  • I just recently sent a copy of our IIPP manual to another HR type. It is very comprehensive, and we go help putting it together from a Safety and HazMat consultant. She stops in about 4 times per year to review our accidents, our various work areas for possible problems, checks on posters, etc.

I'd be happy to send you a copy of our Safety Manual. Also, I use the OSHALog Manager/Trainlog Software - it is a WONDERFUL TOOL. I have all the employee's information in the database, personal, physical, drug tests, all required training per position, and training history. It does all your OSHA forms for you, even has a 'coach' for those difficult questions/accidents.

Our consultant's name/info:

Pamela Murcell, CIH
    President

KWA Safety and HazMat Consultants, Inc.
    160 Vander Street, Suite D
    Corona, CA 92880-1791
    (909)371-1180
    FAX:(909)371-1636

OR

P.O. Box 5573
    El Dorado Hills, CA 95762-5573
    (530) 622-7196
    FAX: 530-622-7003

Let me know if you would like a copy of our manual.
    [email]cwood@tcpud.org[/email]
    Carole Wood, PHR
    Human Resources Administrator
    Tahoe City Public Utility Distrct
    530-583-3796,ext.14

• BJ

Safety is everybodys responsibility, Here in B.C the politicians
    will not accept the COMMON sense Reccomendations to update the highway safety
    By the following
    Adopt the FREE National safety standard color of school bus yellow # 13432
    U/S standard 595B

For all new vehicles ordered for use on highways operations and full time contractors.

Update the Motor vehicle act regulations that should require the PERMANANT installation of
    an AMBER COLORED roto beacon Lamp Mounted at the highest point and visible from 360 degrees for all vehicles that
    Stop on the highways systems to perform work, inspection, supervision of any work or utility.

Ensure that all vehicle above are equipped with reflective tape on the sides and rear.