Obsessive compulsive

Employee who was diagnosed with an advanced case of obsessive compulsive disorder is having problems at work. Although she is on an intermiteent FMLA, her supervisor is giving her a difficult time when she attends Dr. appointments. Additonally, because of the disability and because the medication has not yet shown any results, employee is always 20 minutes late to work, not matter what time she starts. When at work, she is an exceptionally good worker and there are no complaints as far as quality of work. Being late in the morning is an issue and may result in possble termination.

Seems this disability would be protected under ADA. Should employee formally inform HR that she requires ADA accomodations due to her disability ( at this time it would be accomoating her lateness to work until medication takes effect). Would it be considered a reasonable accomodation request? Any advise will be appreciated.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think you should just jump in and assume this is a disability under ADA. I quote,"A disability must substantislly limit a major life activity such as performing manual tasks, speaking, thinking, concentrating, etc."

From what you describe, with the exception of getting to work on time, her work performance is fine. This case does not fall under ADA.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-24-02 AT 02:01PM (CST)[/font][p]"Obsessive-compulsive disorder" has in specific cases been held to be a disaiblity under ADA for THAT individual. Like every other impairment contemplated by ADA, the determination must be fact specific.

Without knowing what this employee's is "obsessive-compulsive" about, it is hard to say that it even impairs any major life activity. In one case, for example, a court found that the obsessive-compulsive disorder did impact the employee's eating and drinking, which are major life activities.

How do you know that it's her obsessive-compulsive disorder that is causing her to be late to work?

But at this point, don't even start with the employee on whether or not the obsssive compulsive disorder is impacting her ability to get to work on time unless that's already been documented. Set the expectations and ask if there is any reason she can't meet them.

If she offers or has offered an explanation that indicates there is a medical condition that's causing her tardiness, then you may need to take a look at reasonable accommodation under ADA by changing her work hours, as a possibility. Of course, that means going through the interactive process if you haven't already determined that the employee is ADA qualified; merely being on FMLA is insufficient, since the criteria for FMLA leave is different from the criteria for ADA reasonable accommodation.

On the other hand, when you discuss her tardiness, if you would change her work hours simply on the basis of her requent or a mutual agreement, as you would for any other emplyee, then do that and avoid getting into ADA issues. Still hold her accountable for getting to work on time.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-24-02 AT 03:02PM (CST)[/font][p]There's one other problem with your scenario that escaped Ritaanz and Hatchet. From what you say, the supervisor is running a high likelihood of either retaliating for or interfering with one's right to take FMLA leave intermittently. Regardless of your other approaches to this situation, the supervisor needs some early intervention to see if you can get him to understand the words "Personal Liability". O=* Since Christy taught me the ropes, I've become entirely too obsessive with these emoticons.

• From what I understand the doctor's appointments and the lateness are 2 different and separate issues. Mr. Don D has addressed the doctor appointment question quite adroitly.

The question that Tammy asked concerned ADA. That was the direction Hatchetman and I steered the response towards. x0:)
  • Ah, but we must look under every shell on the table to be sure we have discovered all the peas.
  • Okay, let's see. The doctor's appointments and tardiness are being covered by intermittent FML. Tell the supervisor to back off. FML gives the employee job protection for her absences from work due to her condition. If she was having performance problems, then he might have a gripe. As I see it, so far you only have a FMLA issue. Don't jump to a conclusion and start treating her "as if" she is disabled, her medication may control it and the condition becomes a non-issue.
  • Ok, the employee did send a letter to HR stating that she has been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder in a severe form, is being treated by both a physician and a therapist. Poor sleep pattern and tardeness is one of the prime conditions of this disability. Reacting poorly to stress is another. It looks like if you try to accomodate by allowing a, let's say, two hour period of time she can start work ( between 8-10am), that would put even a heavier pressure on het that makes the disease even more dibilitating.

Bottom linem, has any of you ever handled a case like that? Also, would appreciate a response from an attorney specializing in this field. As always, thanks to all for responding, your advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Tammy - I don't know in what federal circuit you are located, but I'd advise you take a look at Humphrey v. Memorial Hospitals Association, CA9, No. 98-15404, 2/13/01 ([url]http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/04485f8dcbd4e1ea882569520074e698/abd495f0e26fa48e882569f200608b6b?OpenDocument[/url]), a case involving obsessive-compulsive disorder decided by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and recently refused review by the U.S. Supreme Court. Also, you may be setting yourself up if you know of an employee's impairment, suspect it may be a disability that interferes with the employee's work, and choose to act as if it doesn't exist. In a few cases, the employer is responsible for initiating the interactive process, and this sounds as if it might be one. I'd recommend you do not initiate any disciplinary process without first ensuring the employee does not desire an accommodation.
  • Tammy: Give me your fax # and I'll fax you an article I just read on this particular Humphrey case. It's in the current HRFocus issue.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-31-02 AT 06:19PM (CST)[/font][p]Tammy, have you given up on FMLA to allow her time off in the morning? This would mean though that you don't adjust her work day to make up the lost time.

Are you now considering her ADA-disabled just based upon that letter? Or have you actually documented the medical condition rising to the level of an ADA-disability (significantly impairing one or more major life activities, e.g., sleep). Take a look at EEOC's "Guidance on ADA and Psychiatric Disabilities" at [url]http://www.eeoc.gov/docs/psych.html[/url]

If you are now considering the employee disabled, have you talked to her about whether or not she needs a reasonable accommodation and, if so, what it could be. For something like her psychological condition, it may be hard to pin down.

What are you basing the "two hour corridor" start time on? Is this something that she has suggested...have you looked at other accommodations. Are you saying that the job really does permit variable start times like that or is it essential that the employee come to work at a more definitive time on a regular basis?

While modification of policies is one type of accommodation, you are not required to accommodate for something that is an essential demand of the job, such as a set start time that can't be changed.

But then there may be other accommodations that would allow the employee to meet the essential demands of the job. Accommodations only need to be reasonable and effective and you may have to try several before you find ones that are effective if any are out there. This may even include a part time position with a standard start time and ending the work day earlier.

• Has the employee asked for an accommodation. We as employers are not mind readers and should not try to be. Where did the medicals terms come from. As far as the employee asking for an accommodation yes that would be the route i would suggest. Once that happens then a true dialog can take place. Until that happens I see this as an employee who is not responsible to get to work on time.