Refusal to wear wrist wrap

I have an employee who has just returned from Worker's Comp that had injured her wrist. She went thru surgery for it and has a doctor's release to return to work without restrictions. I asked her to wear a wrist wrap b/c she complained that it still hurts and she feels as though she will injury it again. Should I or am I able to require her to wear the wrist wrap? Thank you for your knowledge!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There are much more knowledgeable posters than me to answer this but, if she was given a full release and it is not mandatory that all EEs wear it, than I would say NO you can not require her to.
  • I would offer her the wrist wrap and if she refuses, and you have some strong reservations, I would contact your w/c carrier about it. They have the full medical records for the injury and can advise you whether this is something that you should be concerned about. If necessary, they can contact her physician to get his/her input on it.
  • Do you have a medical degree? I ask because if the doctor gave her a full release without restriction they obviously feel that she has healed. You cannot force someone to wear a wrist brace. You would be crossing the line, I would not even offer one. I would contact the doctor to get his input, that way you are not putting yourself in a bad position.
    Even though she is 100% and the doctor released her back to work does not mean she will be pain free intially. Often with surgery there is pain during the recovery phase, and even after being released. Sometimes it is even due to the fact that the person has not been using the effected limb for so long.
    Do not play doctor.......even if you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Thank you for your responses. I did a little research on this and found that it would be considered discriminatory. Worker's Comp is not a strong point for me! Her comment to me was, the doctor doesn't feel the pain I have. We have a running pool of how long she will be at work before it happens again....
  • Be careful WHO you have in your pool and who has knowledge of discussions about this EE. This definitely smells and the smell is not pleasant!!!
  • You are also probably assuming that she really has pain. As pain is subjective it is the #1 complaint of malingerers. They will complain and complain even thinking they might get off work. The good doctors know this, and will tell them they will have to work through it.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • You have received some good responses, and I echo the "don't play doctor" statement, as well as the comments about "malingerers". We provide wrist bands upon request by the employee HOWEVER don't overlook the potential of ADA problems because YOU PERCEIVE HER TO HAVE A DISABILITY!!!!!!" You action could be thus perceived and the employee would then have to be treated under ADA guidelines. You don't want this to happen, I'm sure!! Back off and follow the doctor's comments.