vacation/sick lv. accrual during FMLA?

Do you continue the vacation and sick leaves accruals for an employee on FMLA leave?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You will probably find some different takes on this.

In our shop, we only accrue leaves if the EE is getting paid. When sick and vacation time has expired, and the EE is still on FML, then we no longer accrue.
  • Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think no one was going to answer!
  • We don't allow PTO time to accrue for an employee on any leave of absence. As long as employees are receiving their paid time, we do pay them for holidays.
  • Our policy is the same as Marc's
  • We do not allow for accrual of vacation time while on leave. Our vacation is only accrued by paid time and is prorated if the employee falls under 80 hours every 2 weeks. We also do not accrue seniority while on extended leave. The amount of time that the employee is out on leave is deducted from their Original hire date.
  • Sherri, for FMLA purposes, you should not be deducting leave time to calculate seniority because the ER is required to count the leave time as continuous service. This is particularly important in situations where the vesting schedule of a pension or retirement plan requires unbroken service, or where you are required to be working on a certain date to be credited with a certain amount of service.

As a general rule, when the EE returns from the FML, he/she should be treated as if they had never left. This concept is reflected in the fact that FML must be interpreted as continuous service.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-07-04 AT 10:18AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I am following the regulation under Sec. 104 (a)(2)LOSS OF BENEFITS-The taking of leave under section 102 shall not result in the loss of any employment benefit accrued PRIOR to the date on which the leave commenced.
    and
    Sec.104 (a)(3)LIMITATIONS-Nothing in this section shall be construed to entitle any restored employee to (A)the accrual of any seniority or employment benefits during a period of leave; or (B) any right, benefit, or position of employment other than any righ, benefit, or position to which the employee would have been entitled to had the employee not taken the leave.
    Could you please point me to the part of the regulation that states you have to treat the leave as continuous service because I think I need to bring this up to the powers that be?
    Thank you.

I do see where you have to maintain Health Benefits under the conditions that the employee was continuously working but I still can't find anything about the seniority. Please let me know where that is?

• Sheri, I just noticed your follow up - sorry for the delay in the response.

I think you have it right. The continuity of service clause impact benefits - it is as though the EE did not leave. And it is the same with seniority - which means the days out for FML do not count toward seniority. The EEs do get all cost of living raises and other of these types of benefits that they would have received while working, however the regs specifically limit seniority per your reference. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.
  • Thank you, I was very worried that we were doing something wrong.
    :-)
  • Our policy is similar to Marc's. FMLA is run concurrent with any Paid Time Off accrued by the employee. As long as the Paid Time Off bank is not depleted and the employee is getting paid, then the employee will continue to accrue vacation leave, but personal leave is only accrued when the employee is actively at work a minimum of 70 hours a month.