FMLA Training

Has anyone provided FMLA training to supervisors/managers that would be willing to give me some insight into how it was handled? (Main points covered, duration of training 1 hr, 2hr, etc) Also, did you hold meetings with all (nonsupervision)employees explaining the FMLA, or did you just give them the policy to sign? We have just written an FMLA policy, and have not had one before. It is my responsibility to train the supervisors in this area. I have trained supervisors on harassment and had them pass out the policy to their employees and they were to discuss it. However, it seems that the supervisors did not really discuss the policy, or "train" their employees on it. So, I'm not sure on the FMLA of how I should handle the training. I also do not want to overload supervisors with information that is not pertinent. Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We conduct a FMLA refresher learning session each year. All managers,
    supervisors and relief supervisors are required to attend. We cover
    the basics of what is FMLA, who qualifies, what are the EE's rights and
    responsibilites, what are the ER's obligations, what our policy is
    concerning getting written info to EE ...........

We also hit very heavily on the liability issue for supervisors for
    any non-compliance or retaliation and advise them that the company
    is not legally obligated to provide legal counsel for them should
    they be named in a suit. That really gets their attention and
    (knock on wood) we have not had any problems.
  • Thanks for the input. It sounds like you do not train nonsupervisory personnel. I hope to put a training program in place in the next week; so I guess I'm trying to work fast and get the most crucial points in on the training. Thanks again!
  • Next comes the usual question...

Can you email me anything you'd be willing to share? I have so much supervisor training to do that has never been done formally before, that I'm aware of. I find myself spending tons of time getting materials together on topics that I am still learning about myself. Yeah, I know. Wah wah wah. x:'(

Thanks in advance for whatever you can share!
  • Send e-mail and I'll sent what little I have.
  • Thank you. My email is [email]tshake@smithville.net[/email]. Have a great day! Much appreciated!
  • [email]lbremer@sunrisepreschools.com[/email]

Thank you so much!
  • At the risk of sounding like a shameless huckster, I suggest you look at our training videos, Ten Danger Zones for Supervisors. I worked on the videos and put together the big ol' book of training materials, so I'm biased. But I really tried to include everything you'd need to lead a 45-60 minute training session on each of the 10 topics.

For FMLA, you'd have a video (around 25 minutes), handouts, overhead slides, discussion questions, a fun icebreaker, and a brief summary of the law as a refresher for you.
    [url]http://www.HRhero.com/videos.shtml[/url]

OK, that's the end of the infomercial.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Tina,
    We just finished FMLA training at each of our locations and only trained Supervisors ( we expect supervisors to train ee's) but like stated before this doesn't normally happen. If I had it my way we would train ALL ee's on FMLA including non-supervisory people to ensure it is well understood. I have two separate PPoint presentations that were shared with me they are both very similar one for supervisors and nonsupervisors the main difference is what supervisors should do when learning of a possible FMLA case the legal Implications should we not issue FMLA when necessary and to encourage them to always consult us. Just some thoughts :-?
  • Thanks for the information. I am currently working on putting together my presentation, without giving too much detailed information. I want supervisors to walk away with an understanding instead of being totally overwhelmed. We have several remote locations, so I am unsure if all employees will receive training from me. I will probably only train the supervisors, but you are right, all employees really need to be trained. Thanks.
  • My suggestion: Whatever training for supervisors you do decide on, please make it supervisor friendly. Don't inundate them with regulations and details about FMLA. Give them enough basics so that they can intellegently half-way respond to incidents that might invoke FMLA. Do not try to prepare them so that they can 'handle' FMLA. Hold all of that responsibility in HR and be sure the supes understand that. You want them to have enough knowledge to not step in it and so that they won't incur personal or company liability. And put them at ease prior to and at the close of training by telling them that you do not expect them to become experts or to 'administer' the FMLA program.

Secondly, don't train the employees in FMLA. Meet the posting requirements and manualize whatever your policy says about the procedures. Meet the basics of the law. To train employees in FMLA, in my opinion, is to teach them how to manipulate it. They will learn that fast enough without formal training.
  • Thanks, Don D.; that makes sense. I am hoping to hold training to no more than 1 hour and be able to cover the most critical information for the supervisors. I see what you are saying about training employees and manipulation. I hate to say it, but there are certainly folks who would do exactly that! Thanks for your input!