What to say when calling off

We have an employee who is on intermittent FML. For the past two days the employee has called in and said she is "sick". Am I splitting hairs or should the employee specifically say this absence is for medical leave (or something to that effect). By her calling in "sick" she could have the flu or a sinus headache not attributable to her reason for FML. Is this enough information for me to use to count as FML or not? Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know if "splitting hairs" is the correct assessment but I always require employees who have been approved for FMLA to notify the company when they are calling in that the reason for their absence is due to their FMLA condition. Failure on their part to do so results in their absence falling within the regular guidelines of the attendance policy. This is something I explain, IN DETAIL, to the employee after approving their leave.
  • I did tell this person that when she calls in she must specify family and/or medical leave when giving her reason for not coming in. I will inform her again and let her know that if she merely states "sick" it will not fall under FML. Thank you for your response.