Is a LISW a Healthcare provider?

That's basically my question. We had a Certification of Healthcare Provider turned in that was signed by a Liscensed Independent Social Worker. Those were his only credentials on the form. Do any of you have any experience with this and would he be considered a healthcare provider under the FMLA?

Thanks,
April

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can check with the Licensure board with the State of Ohio. I know that LISW's and LPCC's were able to practice without supervision in Ohio unlike an LSW or LPC. I would tend to honor the credential if it was a ie mental health issue but would not if it was a medical issue. My opinion only.
  • Thanks for your pov, sonny, It is for a mental health issue. The Fed. regulations state "clinical social worker" as a certified health care provider, is that what an LISW is? Are they clinical when they work independently? I will look up the liscensure board and see what I can find...
  • LISW stands for Licensed INDEPENDENT Social Worker. They are able to open an office and hang out a shingle as far as I can remember. LPCC (Licensed Professional CLINICAL Couselor)for sure can practice independently and would meet both independent and clinical. LPC's and LSW could not practice independently. Clinical does not equate to independent or vice versa. Since I recall that it can take up to a week for the licensure board to answer their phone,(in Columbus) it might be quicker to call your local Mental Health Board (county).Part of the problem is that you have a Federal regulation providing a definition that varies from state to state. Florida has a catagory LCSW (licensed clinical social worker) Ohio does (or at least did) not. I think an LISW is as close as you are going to get although in my biased opinion an LPCC would be a little more comfortable as they are for sure able to diagnosis and there is a heavy emphasis on clinical. (I am biased cuz I was a counselor and we didn't like social workers :) Anyway, good luck, hope I didn't confuse you more!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-14-03 AT 11:47AM (CST)[/font][p]No, that was actually really well stated. Thanks, Sonny, for pointing me in the right direction and the useful info. It seems like every FMLA case poses something new I need to research and I need all the help I can get!
    April

and Vance, I will check out the federal regualtions again. Thanks for your help.
  • The regulations provide guidence in this area. 29 CFR Section 825.118 defines health care provider. I suggest that you review the listings in Section 825.118(b), especially subparagraph "(4)."
    Vance Miller
    Editor, Missouri Employment Law Letter
    Armstrong Teasdale LLP
    (314) 621-5070
    [email]vmiller@armstrongteasdale.com[/email]