FMLA to "childproof" house

We have had an employee request and receive FMLA to stay home and "childproof" the house. This leave was for two weeks. Thats a lot of "childproofing". Any thoughts?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You're having your shoes squeezed by this employee. Somebody on the Forum might, however, have a really creative imagination as to how this might quality. I would try to maintain my composure if I were you.
  • vstass:
    At first glance it appears you might have been "snookered" into granting this leave. I can't think of a reasonable scenario that would require this childproofing as a solution to a serious medical condition. The bigger issue is now to get the employee's attention and orchestrate his/her return to work. It'll be too lengthy to offer you sound advice via this post, becuz we don't know all the details, but I would contact the individual and determine a return to work date. If childproofing is still not complete ?????? I'd ask for additional information to justify the request and pursue a 2nd opinion from another health provider. I would also make a note in your FMLA files acknowledging the error in granting the absence. This will help you from being ruled by this as a precedent and document that you made a mistake and corrected it as soon as it was possible. Lastly, and most importantly, I would arrange for some FMLA tr'ng for the individual(s) who believed this was an appropriate FMLA absence to ensure that the organization is not continuously exposed to clever employees. We all make mistakes------the important thing is that we learn from them!
  • Two questions:[ul][li]Is the leave within one year of a birth or adoption?
    [li]Was there a documented serious incident, i.e., emergency visit for swallowing poison cleaners, that might be referenced?[/ul]

It doesn't sound to me as though you have already granted FMLA. If not, barring either of the above conditions, I agree it would be a mistake. I do not believe FMLA leave was enacted to have parents fulfill their regular parenting duties during work hours; however, if the second condition exists, I would request medical documentation and probably err on the side of caution to grant the leave.
  • I knew there was a creative imagination out there somewhere. x:-)
  • Creative is the word...I thought it was a prerequisite for HR. We certainly hear them all (For those of you who haven't seen it yet, check out the HR-de-har-har forum.)

Frankly, despite what I said earlier, I would really have a hard time equivalating that problem to FMLA, but I do try to think outside the box. The day the employer not only has to manage the employee's time at work but also their time at home is the day that we have all lost.
  • Now, I have heard everything The next thing will be FMLA to "potty-train".
  • I believe the politically correct term is "potty TEACH" x;-)
  • Actually it's 'Potty Mentor'. Teach has control connotations. Lead implies drag-along. And train indicates diminished mentality.