After termination

I dismissed an employee who was still on 90 day probabtion period, due to complaints from other employees and patients. The employee had been talked to twice about issues . We decided to dismiss the employee before the probabtion period was up. The employee called back today and wants to have a meeting with me to discuss some things that were said in the meeting. Do I meet ? What more can I say? I feel a lawsuit in the makings.

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In similar sitautions, I have chosen to proceed with a meeting. However, what you do should depend on your company's position and precedent. I count it as an open door policy issue.

If you decide to go through with the meeting, I would suggest some pointers to consider:
    1. the ex-employee is disgruntled and may or may not be looking for lawsuit fodder (i.e., be careful what you say, how you say it, and be brief, concise, and to the point)
    2. do not permit the ex-employee to bring anyone into the meeting (unless of course you are a union setting and a rep is required); and do not permit voice recordings (unless Texas law has a provision for such)
    3. if Texas is an at-will employment state, you can discharge (and the employee can quit) anytime, for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. The difference for you as an employer is that you cannot, of course, violate any state or federal regulations in your discharge.
    4. keep the meeting brief and have notes prepared for yourself; stay focused.

If I were conducting the meeting, it would be to review what the employee may not have understood at the time of discharge, not review work performance of the period from hire to discharge. I would also follow up the meeting with a letter confirming the reason for the discharge. Quite frankly, if your company allows a probationary period, the employee was let go for unacceptable work performance that was well documented, and the discharge is consistent with other employees in the past in similar circumstances, you should be OK. Do not permit the ex-employee to get the upper hand, he/she will probably try. When the ya-ya starts, it is time to end the meeting and dismiss the individual.

best wishes.
  • I'll take the opposite stance for the sake of argument.
    I would not hold the meeting.
    If you handle the termination correctly, I would just tell the ee you are sorry it did not work and you believe all items were previously considered. I might entertain a letter if they wanted to submit one with their concerns.
    Is there ANY chance a meeting would change your mind?
    If not, I believe the meeting has a much stronger potential to hurt rather than help.
    Just me.
  • Were you present at the termination? I would not schedule a meeting either. Ask the employee exactly what is it that they wish to discuss. At that time you can then determine if you need to research his questions or respond as the quesions are asked.

If the employee still insists on a meeting, his/her intentions are probably more confrontational than just gathering information.
  • I'd probably have the meeting. The employee feels rejected and mistreated. Letting them blow off steam could help. Alot would depend on whether the employee is a reasonable person or not.

That said, like Ritaanz has said, I'd ask for a specific list of what the EE wants to discuss so you can be prepared.

Keep the conversation focused. Have another manager sit in on the meeting. You might even consider meeting off site so that you can leave if you need to.

Letting the employee speak their mind could provide some closure. I think its always best to defuse employees as much as you can. They are less likely to file claims or seek retribution. You don't have to agree with them but you can listen.

• Paul my friend. . this is not a tenured employee. .less than 90 days who had been warned twice and complaints had come from patients (customers). .rejected?mistreated? closure? and I thought I was the bleeding heart (former) social worker type!! x:o
  • I agree with sonny & ritaanz. My first reaction would be to not hold the meeting. Based on your brief account of the matter, it appears to be a clean termination. I would make sure that anyone who was involved in the two times the ee was talked with has these sessions documented in case a record of these meetings may be needed on down the road.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-08-09 AT 03:28PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Meet off site? Are you serious? Why not invite them to lunch?

This is an employee that was terminated with LESS than 3 months of service. Who knows what this individual is capable of doing or saying. Why put yourself in a situation that may become volatile? Paul, not all ex-employees are reasonable.
  • So if J is still around, what happened? Also, when re-reading post, wondering why you thought law suit was in the making?
  • Did you hold an exit interview?
  • Employees are employees regardless of "90 day probationary periods" or "introductory status" or other conceits we in HR come up with to mitigate our exposure.

I am unaware of any ruling that states that an employee in a 90 day probationary period has less rights than an employee who has been with the company several years.

My general approach is "keep the organization out of court". If that means meeting with a disgruntled employee to calm him or her down. So be it.

• Employee rights have absolutely nothing to do with this. The factor that you are missing is the employee that has been with you several years is a known entity. You can generally speculate how that individual will react. A new employee is unpredictable.

You do not need to agree to every request you receive from terminated people to "keep the organization out of court".
  • Not every request but if a simple meeting will help a terminated employee calm down and move on its worth the time.
  • There is no such thing as a simple meeting.
  • Interesting debate. Any thought to covering this via a phone call versus face to face?

I agree as would be hesitant to meet in person as they may try to get their job back. However, think the line of thought that why not answer a question. At least you'll know what they're thinking. We have had this happen twice and in both situations (one being very similar), it was a case of reviewing the documents and advising what had been discussed with them in the past and why that lead to where they were now.

In both cases, they thanked us for the clarification and that was it - no further discussion.

The one time we've had something go further was when we took the "no further comment" approach. We came out fine but it was a lot more paperwork and time.
  • A lot of folks may feel differently, but many HR issues are clumsy by phone. I would not opt for a phone meeting.

As for the debate on whether to meet or not to meet, it is interesting to see the two points of view. The argument not to go through with the meeting has merit, but I my position is still to go through with the meeting. It's a cheap investment to go through with a meeting that will probably not last more than 15 minutes if the HR rep is well prepared, takes and keeps control of the meeting, and doesn't permit the ya-ya stuff from the angry employee. It could be a very good opportunity to diffuse a situation. I've done it several times, and it is amazing how well it can work, even with brand new, short-term employees. And occasionally I am given insight into a supervisory situation that is valuable as well.

• Thank you all for your replies. I met with the terminated employee. He had a doctor's appointment at 3:30 at our facility, so I knew he would not be able to linger long. I set the meeting up for 3:00. I was very calm and asked what he wanted to talk about. He was angry and hurt and wanted to express that he thought he had been used. I told him he could let go of that because if we didn't want him to be a successful employee of ours the CEO of the hospital and I would not have taken the time to sit down with him to discuss the issues and complaints we were getting. In the exit interview I had with him at termination, I had encouraged him to go on further with his career and take some classes. I mentioned this again and told him I thought he could have a great career in this field. I told him I was sorry it did not work out and I hoped he would find an opportunity somewhere else soon.

The reason I feared a potential law suit, is that I found out the employee had worked at another hospital before coming to ours, which he did not disclose on his application. At the previous hospital, there had been complaints about him and he quit before being let go.
    He threatened that hospital with a discrimination suit, but did not pursue it. I did ask him in this meeting if he had previously worked at the hospital and he said yes. I asked why he hadn't put it on his application and he said because he wasn't there that long. I didn't pursue the issue further. He is not eligible for rehire because of hospital rules that were compromised.

I shook his hand and wished him well and he left.

• I am glad it went well and hopefully that is the last you see of that person.