Paycheck Distribution

Does anyone have a procedure in place for distributing paychecks they would care to share with me?

My company is a manufacturing plant with approx. 150 employees, 2 shifts and I am the only HR person. I bundle the paychecks up each week for distribution and provide the Supervisors with the checks for their respective departments. When an employee is absent on payday the check is returned to me and I put back in my locked drawer. The problem is that the employees come in looking for their check and then sometimes I am not here. This is really becoming a nuisance. I'm wanting to change and am curious if there is a reason why checks should be returned to HR?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If an employee is not here when paychecks are distributed they are automatically mailed. The ONLY exception to this is if an EE comes to be BEFORE payday and asks that it be held in the front office. At that point a note is placed on the check informing the front desk person to hold the check pending pickup.

I do not see any benefit from the checks being returned to you. They should be mailed automatically.
  • dwitt: We are a manufacturing company and have the same procedure for distributing paychecks as you.

The only difference at our company is if the employee is absent the check is placed in a locked safe. Both our payroll person and our controller have a key to the safe so someone is always here who has access and can get the check for the employee.

Perhaps you can give a copy of your desk key to your supervisor so she/he can get the check for the employee in your absence.
  • If allowed in your state, go to mandatory direct deposit on all paychecks. Then all you have remaining is a check stub.
  • We have also gone mandatory direct deposit. Everyone is happier as they don't have to make a special trip to the bank. In the State of Washington the only requirement for direct deposit is that we do not charge our employees any fees we may incure in the deposit process.
  • We have direct deposit but not all employees participate in it and we cannot make it mandatory that they do. In the event EE is absent and we can't give them their paycheck, it is placed in a safe in the Accounting Department. We have 3 personnel in accounting so someone is always there to hand the check out.
  • Prior to going with mandatory direct deposit, we mailed all paychecks, only exception was for final paychecks when ee had not returned all company property. In that case, we required ee to come in to office to pick up paycheck.
  • I agree with the direct deposit comments -- we have gone even one step further -- electronic pay stubs. On pay day, employees access a secure website to our payroll provider through a link on our intranet. They can then view and/or print off their stub. That really simplified the issue of pay distrubtion!

Cheryl
  • We do 100% direct deposit and also provide electronic copies of the paystubs to our employees. They log into the payroll provider's website and can view or print off current or past paystatements and even extra copies of their W-2s if they need them. So the issue of pay distribution is greatly simplified for us, also.
  • We also have direct deposit and electronic payroll stubs. This has made out life SO much easier.

When we actually distributed pay stubs, if an employee was not at work, they were automatically mailed. I see no reason for you to have to be the keeper of the checks. Just mail them if employee is not present.

• Mandatory direct deposit is not legal in Illinois, but you can let all ees know of its benefits. That has swayed all our employees to sign up for direct deposit.
  • We have mandatory direct deposit and also electronic pay stubs, so we don't even have to pass these out any longer. When we did not have these options, if an employee was not at work on payday,the check was automatically mailed to them.