Is anyone rethinking their personal cell phone policy?

We hire a large number of Gen Y staff and they are accustomed to having their cell phones with them constantly. Its no longer just an issue of making or receiving calls at work however. The larger problem (in my opinion) is text messages or checking e-mail.

Yesterday I led a "cell phone discussion group" with about 20 of our Gen Y staff. I bought them pizza and just wanted to get their perspective. I granted them all immunity from any discipline if they wanted to come clean on how they may have violated our cell phone policies in the past.

It was an interesting discussion. Basically they admitted that they want to have their cell phones with them at all times. They understand why its not good to be checking messages while working but most of them use their cell phones as a watch.

Our various departments seem to have adopted different rules about personal cell phones. Some strictly prohibit them and others actually utilize them as a way to communicate with staff on our premises.

Several staff admitted that they carry their cell phone with them even though they know they are not supposed to.

So I feel like a policy revision is necessary. At minimum, I have to address the reality that different departments are taking different approaches to allowing cell phones at work. I have spent some time checking with other organizations (Starbucks, Target, etc) The different approaches really vary. Target is generally pretty laid back (their dress code is two words: "Look professional") but they prohibit employees from carrying cell phones.

Anyways, just interested if any of you are having to address this evolving issue.

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Interesting post. No input yet but will ask our managers for their input. It's another of the generational things and won't go away soon. Kids are getting cell phones at younger ages and IM and text their friends far more often than phone calls and e-mails.
  • There is also the point to consider that most cell phones have the ability to take photos. Are these ee's around any confidential information, etc. that the information could be transmitted via a picture sent via cell phone.
    We have a policy about abusing the phone system. Our phone system is for company business, but most everyone in our office environment receives a personal call or two daily. We simply ask them to take the call and end the call as soon as possible so they do not tie up the line. We have the same program for personal cell phones. As long as they do not abuse the privilege all is fine.
  • We are a manufacturing facility and permit our exempt level staff to have their cell phones (alot if times it is the easiest way to get a hold of them).

Our production employees are not permitted to have their cell phones on them during work hours but can use them during their breaktimes. If I catch someone with their cell phone on them , they are disciplined up to and including termination of employment.

To be honest - I know we have people who carry their phones in their pockets but short of frisking them there isn't alot to be done. We are actually thinking of banning them completely in the plant.
  • One of our kitchen assistants told me with all sincerity "I text message all day long at work but I am a very hard worker so there is no impact at all. I can send a message in five seconds while I walk from the kitchen to the walk in freezer."

The other issue I am seeing is that "banning" cell phones doesnt really mean they aren't there. Some of the staff admitted (and these are awesome young people) that they just are accustomed to having their cell phones with them at all times. These are not generally "rule breakers". If anything, I am finding Gen Y to be pretty compliant with rules, even eager to comply.

Still, they feel fairly comfortable ignoring a rule if they do not understand it or agree with it. Such seems to be the case with cell phones. Their phones are their clocks, daytimers,voicemail, e-mail, and web browser. I almost feel like its similar to a security blanket. You just feel better having it with you. Even I can relate to that.
  • We have talked about this but have not written a policy. We somewhat addressed it in a recent staff meeting. We give our IT staff cell phones so we can contact them as they are about the company working on computers. We also give our facilitators cell phones as they are out mowing or watering the grounds.

The rest of the staff we simply asked them on a voluntary basis to turn all cell phones on vibrate rather than ring so it does not disturb their neighbors and warned them if it interferes with their work performance it will become a performance issue during their annual review. All cell phones must be turned off at meetings.

We have a break room on each floor with a phone in it for the staff to use to make outgoing calls as they need. Any incoming calls must be limited to 5 minutes in duration and only for important calls such as an emergency or the school. We are a small company, so we monitor it as a performance issue at the present time. If their work is completed than there is not problem, if it interferes with their work it becomes an issue.

Shirley
  • I used to work for an employer than banned cell phones from the premises, and one of my coworkers consistently violated the policy for safety reasons. She never used her cell phone at work, but she wanted it on her so that in case of emergency she'd be able to call for help immediately (and inconspicuously, if necessary). I thought that was a valid point (particularly considering that in the part of the building where we worked, there weren't a lot of landline phones).

• We are a mfg facility and have a simple policy. "Cell phones are not permitted for personnel use on the manufacturing floor or in the restrooms. They can be used in the employee lunchroom or outside the building during lunch and break times only." We allow ee's to carry their cell phones at all times, but use them only as indicated in the policy.

Years ago we had a policy against carrying knives. I was a mfg supervisor and had one ee who was a biker kind of a guy - even rode a Harley - 6' 2" and 225lbs and all muscle. I was 6' and 160lbs. Wasn't going to mess with him. He wore a knife attached to his belt. One day I pulled him aside and told him he couldn't have that knife in the building. He glared down at me, removed the knife and shoved it in his pocket and asked me if I saw a knife. I told him I did not and thanked him for his cooperation. Moral of the story, you can make a rule, but be prepared for the consequences. People will push to see how far they can go. Make your expectations realistic.
  • This is a very timely discussion, and I am glad to read the varying opinions.

Closest to mine, I guess is Paul's. After doing an extensive study of the generations (in preparation for a workshop) one of my conclusions was that we have to do some changing for the Millenials joining the workplace. Yes, they can be hard and dedicated workers, but remember, they grew up with this technology. Banning their cell phones would be like making a Baby Boomer go without a wallet (or something like that). In any event, it may be more helpful to control the offending behavior, rather than attack the object of the behavior. They are not going to give up those phones!
  • This question and conversation immediately reminded me of another post of yours, Paul, from 2006. No one is asking if MySpace is a flash in the pan any more.

[url]http://www.hrhero.com/cgi-bin/employersforum/employersforum.cgi?az=show_thread&om=6730&forum=DCForumID14&archive=yes[/url]

I think you've hit a nerve again. Maybe we should nominate Paul to be the forum workplace technology trend spotter.
  • Forum workplace technology trend spotter = Forum Nerd. x:D
  • Its an interesting issue. Basically it boils down to a collision between employers and their right to set guidelines and standards for the workplace and the Gen Y belief that they have the right/need/expectation to have their cell phone with them at all times. I think its safe to say that the fireworks are just getting started.
  • We fight a constant battle against cell phone usage.

We are a preschool/childcare company and prohibit personal cell phones altogether. When staff members are using their phones they are not supervising the children.

Use of camera phones violates the privacy of our kids. At least annually we retrain staff on the privacy issue, because of myspace, etc. (Staff often want to post pictures of themselves with the kids they teach. This is a big no-no without express written persmission from the parents, so we just ban it altogether.)

Texting is definitely our biggest problem. We require all staff to wear Home Depot style aprons, and the staff like to hide their cells in the apron pockets. They can text without looking at what they are doing, and have gotten pretty stealthy about it. We address it firmly when we see it, but it will never go away, and we are not willing to change the policy. We just accept that it will always be a battle.

Maybe we will have to start frisking them at the start of each shift. Not me, but maybe someone else would volunteer to do it...

Cell phones and flip flop sandals will probably be in every time capsule of Gen Y'ers. (Do kids make time capsules any more?)

• I am just curious. Do you have any idea what they are texting about? Maybe it doesnt matter but it would be interesting to know. Is it just meaningless chatter "wats up?" or are they discussing work "these kidz are HORRble!!" Are they making plans for later?

Like I said, maybe it doesnt matter what they are talking about but Im curious to know why they feel the need to communicate during work.
  • The Delaware Employment Law Blog - written by the attorneys who write the Delaware Employment Law Letter - has a post today on monitoring employee text messages. You can find the link to the post on the HRhero.com homepage.

Wendi
  • Interesting. There have been some recent cases where people were fired for sending text messages. A teacher recently in Oregon was fired because he sent innappropriate text messages to a student while he was on vacation. He claimed that he had been drinking although I dont see how that necessarily makes it any better.

I dont want to know the specifics of what my ees are texting. I just am curious to know the nature of the conversations. Are they work related?

Some ee's have told me that texting is a way to communicate about what is going on in front of them. In other words, two ees who are in a group will text eachother with comments about what is being said or what is happening in the group. Kind of like passing a note back in the day. Someone might text "can you believe what he just said?" or "whats up with so and so? He's grumpy."

To some degree, understanding the nature of the communications is part of dealing with the problem or at least having a reasonable policy.
  • I've never considered what they are texting about, because to me it doesn't matter. When they are texting, they are not supervising the children, which is our primary reason for existence.

Having said that, you have a good point. Understanding the WHY helps us find a way to stop it. I suspect they are making social plans, gossiping, coordinating transportation for the ride home that night, making grocery lists, doing homework, making sure their kids got home from school safely and are not having a secret party in the house, etc.

It is difficult for staff to get breaks throughout the day other than lunch or potty breaks. That means "texting time" is tough to come by during the work day, when they are used to texting nonstop all day.

New idea, definitely worth a patent: secretly install in employees' cell phones a Mission Impossible type chip that is tied in to our timeclock system. It would cause the phones to self destruct if used while the employee is clocked in.

I need investors to get this off the ground. Anybody want in?
  • Because the Drama Containment Unit we tried to market last year was such a huge success?

If your employees dont have breaks, I could easily see them justifying ignoring your rule on texting. I wonder if we will start seeing "texting breaks" soon?

I think your list of texting topics is probably pretty accurate. My gut tells me that 60-70 percent of the texts sent in the US are "whats up" and 20-30 percent are "not much, whats up with u?"

• I have the same problem at our bank. Some of the younger employees spend time during the day texting. I don't like for our employees to be doing anything that might cause the customers to think they are not as important as a telephone call or texting. Would anyone care to share a policy with me? I would be eternally grateful. Wanda
  • Wanda,

I would think that a bank would have a legitimate reason to monitor employee communications. Aren't your employees privy to sensitive information? I could imagine potential security issues with employees texting private financial data, sending photos of how the bank is laid out or where security guards are posted, etc.

I have a few colleagues in the banking industry. I e-mailed two of them to see if they have a policy they feel is effective and they are willing to share.

Then of course, as you mentioned, is the customer service issue. All that said, I think a good policy is a starting point but the trick is monitoring and enforcing it.
  • Wanda,

A colleague sent me a brand spanking new policy (hasnt even been implemented yet) for her credit union. I'll send it to you if you e-mail me: [email]paulknoch@cbcc.net[/email]
  • Here is a recent article on line about the rise in text message related injuries. [url]http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/372938_oblivioustexters31.html[/url]

There have been two reported deaths of people who were texting and stepped in front of traffic. Like any distraction, the potential for injury exists. One of my kitchen staff admitted to me that he texts constantly as he walks about the kitchen. Obviously, thats not a safe situation.