Need to Vent

2»

Comments

• Along these lines, anyway that you could implement a "smoke-free" environment at least inside the building to promote wellness?
  • LindaS - You have not mentioned if your company has an employee handbook or company policies regarding work breaks, dress code or safety guidelines. If so, has she signed an acknowledgement of receipt of handbook? Are you an At-Will employer?

I work at a family owned manufacturing plant and we have very specific safety guidelines.
    NO ONE goes out into the shop with open toed or high heeled shoes, safety glasses must be worn at all times when going out into the shop, etc.

Why can't you discipline her for her dress code violations while she is on the manufacturing floor as a safety hazzard if you are the one who witnesses it? Are you able to discipline other employees for this or just their immediate supervisor? IF I see it I discipline them for it could be a verbal warning or written w/witness verification. You are a MANAGER of the COMPANY, if you see it or witness it discipline and document it. Let her supervisor be aware of it but he would not have to be the one to instigate it and I would advise other Managers of the company to do the same. Although it is a family owned business the managers are representatives for 1 company not just their department.

Example: Joe Smith works for Supervisor Mike Jones in Shipping Dept., Jane Thomas Supervisor of Quality Control sees that Joe Smith is smoking on the dock during work hours not break. Would Jane go to Mike to let him know or would she go to Joe Smith and tell him to get back to work and give him a verbal warning? THEN go and let Mike Jones know what happened and how she handled it. Even a verbal warning can be documented Mike Jones should then put in note in his file should he have one that this occurred on such and such date warning by Jane Thomes. So, should another incident of this nature happen he has that back up.

The President rarely knows what is happening on the plant floor, that is why there are Managers & Supervisors.

Just my opinion but it has worked for me at my employer.
  • I dont think you can deal with a person like this by playing by the company rules and policies. She hasn't shown any concerns for rules or guidelines (or marriages) yet.

My worry is that you will come across like a peashooter attacking a tank.