E-Verify

Has anyone heard about the requirement for federal contractors to begin using the E-Verify system?

I'm interpreting the order to mean that all companies who have federal contracts must start using this for all new hires. The Executive Order 12989 was amended June 6, 2008.

Are any of you using E-Verify already? Thanks.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I received a forwarded email from a colleague, but never got anything from the gov't about this.
  • Since we are in Arizona, have been using it from January 1.
  • I just found this on the USCIS website.

Federal Contractors Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. As a current or prospective Federal contractor, am I required by the Executive Order or the proposed rule to enroll in E-Verify now?

Not at this time. At this time, the E-Verify program remains a voluntary program for employers, including federal contractors. The Executive Order instructs Federal agencies to require contractor participation in E-Verify as a term of future contracts, and the proposed rule provides detailed guidance on how that requirement is to be implemented. However, the proposed rule is not a final rule; it is a proposal that is open for public comment at this time. There may be substantive changes to the rule before it becomes final. Moreover, the final rule will not be effective until 30 days after publication. Under the proposed rule, you would only be required to enroll in E-Verify if and when you enter into a Federal contract or subcontract that requires participation in E-Verify as a term of the contract. Although Federal Contractors are not yet required to participate in E-Verify, you are encouraged to enroll in E-Verify now to verify the employment eligibility of your new hires.

• I received the following from another HR site:

"President Bush signed an executive order on June 6, 2008, requiring all federal contractors to use the U.S. government’s E-Verify system to confirm the legal status of their employees or risk losing their government contracts."

"The latest executive order amends existing Executive Order 12989—issued Feb. 13, 1996—to require federal contractors confirm the work eligibility status of all their employees, Bush says in the document. The reason given for amending Executive Order 12989 is that federal contractors who employ illegal immigrants are at risk of having an insufficient workforce to honor their federal contract because of immigration laws, the order says."

Now... since I work at a bank and we sell and cash savings bonds...how does one go about accessing E-Verify?

• Looking at the MOU (Memo of Understanding) that DHS wants from employers to use E-Verify it appears the government is trying to make HR people immigration exeprts. You have to take a course in how to use the system plus there are other requirements if you get back an adverse response.

Those of you who are currently using this E-Verify: what do you think of it? Is it time-consuming, a big hassle, etc.? Just curious. Thanks.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-18-08 AT 12:05PM (CST)[/font][br][br]According to the actual website, this is just a PROPOSED rule at this point, not a requirement.

I was just informed by legal that it is required for all new contracts.
  • To answer Irie's question, It is just another item to do in the new hire porcess. Once you have completed the tutorial, which takes about 20 minutes, the verifying of a new emplloyee goes quickly.

If there is a problem, then you need to follow the instructions and have the individual report to SS Admin. This has only happened to me once. The employee came back to me with a letter from SS Admin that instructed me to try the e-verify again. I did and got the "employment authorized" statement.
  • As others have stated here, the new Executive Order is not effective until the proposed rules have been subjected to a comment period and then are finalized. The EO will require e-verify of both new hires and existing employees. Since the MOU you sign with SSA only allows verification of new hires, the SSA and DHS are working on changing the procedures to address the requirement to verify existing employees.

I will be conducting an audio conference regarding e-verify next week. Check the website for registration information.

The above statement is not intended to create an attorney client relationship or to provide legal advice on a particular matter.
  • We are not E-Verifying yet. I have my reservations. A couple of years ago I got the mismatch letters on about 5 employees. All of the information in our files and that we transmitted was correct. It appeared that somehow they had transposed employee SSN numbers. I had a heck of a time getting it straight. Of course, THEY had NOT made a mistake!
  • I just registered with E-Verify and took the mandatory tutorial...what a joke! You also have to pass a "mastery test" in order to use the system.
  • That would be the reason I signed up with USIS-DAC Services for I-9 verification. You still have to sign the MOU with DHS and it costs $5.00 per verification, but I consider it well worth the money not to have to deal directly with DHS/SSA.