Is not producing doctor's note

I am wondering what you do when you have an employee you have given time out of the office, but requested a doctor note be provided, and the employee is not producing the note after repeated requests.

Scenario is this, new employee, needed a few hours his first week for pre-scheduled "procedure". The next week he called in sick on a Monday, said his mother had a heart attack. Upon returning his story and timelines coflicted between what he told me and his coworkers He then asked for a half day the next week to go sign some papers to allow his mother to be taken to the hospital for a check up. I granted the time but with the stipulation he bring in a note from her doctor or her care facility that they needed him there. He has not produced this note. I have asked now 3 times. I also asked how often he expected to be out of the office for his mother's care. He said that would be the last time.

I am thinking I should just start the discipline process. He has been here 4 weeks and has been out of the office every week except one. My experience is this never gets better.
What would you do?

Janine

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you stipulated a doctor's note then he is failing to follow instructions/procedures. Start the process. The last thing you need is for him to see you as an easy mark, or for your other employees to think he gets special treatment, or that they will get special treatment in the future.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Agree with Nae, I would cut him lose so he can take care of his Mom.

• I agree with others - unless he is entitled to some protection under your state's laws, at the very least, discipline him. Actually, I would terminate. If he is acting like this during his first few weeks on the job (when most employees would be on their best behavior), my experience is that things will only get worse.
  • I'm really leaning that way also. To ask for time off your first week, call in sick your second week, need time off you third week and then to think you can play a game with me on bringing in a doctor's note....only makes me think it is going to get worse.

I just don't understand people sometimes
  • With an ee still in their Introductory Period - first 90 days - I would terminate, no disciplinary process. As you said, it most likely will not get better. I can understand when ee's first begin they may have something scheduled and will give some allowance, but not every week like this. If the ee has completed their Introductory Period, then I would follow our normal disciplinary process if they did not produce required documentation.