After the I-9

We are very diligent with completing the I-9 and collecting the required documentation to verify citizenship. With that said, I recently had someone come in and question someone's proof. Is the person bitter? I don't know. Is she just causing work for me and trouble for the other person? I don't know.
How do I check that the documents are accurate? Drivers License and SS card were shown. He is recent enough that he probably still has the same papers. I know he got his High School degree in the states. Beyond that I don't know.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unless the person doing the questioning works for the Department of Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration or a law enforcement agency, I would tell her it is none of her business.
  • I accept whatever documents the employee presents. As long as they appear authentic and are on the list of approved documents I don't think we are required to go any further.
  • Agree with Joannie. Unless whomever questions the credibility of documents presented in doing so in an official capacity and has the ID to prove it, I would advise that employee information is confidential and not to be discussed (i.e., none of their business!). You might suggest, and I'm not sure I would, that if someone has reason to doubt another individual's citizenship, the concern should be directed to an appropriate federal agency.

best wishes
  • I would re-examine the copies of the documents (if you keep copies) just to make sure there were no oversights.

Did he provide an alien number on his I-9? If he did not, and he only presented the DL and SS card and they look fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I would also go back to the complaining employee, thank them for their concern, and advise her that the hiring managers thoroughly review documentation and your company is confident everything is on the up-and-up.
  • What would an alien number look like?
  • If he checked that he was a citizen in section 1 and showed you a valid drivers license and SS card, and at the time of hiring they appeared genuine, your good. However if he checked that he was a permanent resident or an alien authorized to work, he would of had to put a number down next to whichever box he checked. These numbers are usually six digits and look like this A000-000-000.
  • I was going to say an Alien Number is probably green with a large head and little antennae, but Potato's answer was more accurate.
  • I'm just new enough at this that I could believe you. LOL
  • I just had a colleague call me to verify that one of her former staff was doing something inappropriate. HR Department was requesting that only Hispanics were required to bring in their Resident Alien card in addition to the driver's license and social security card the employee had already provided. The former staff person actually hung up on her when she said that employers can't do that!
  • Evidently they never read the I-9 handbook. Or simply used common sense.

I think I will only ask for ID from people who look older than 40. That way I can confirm they are in a protected class and just rescind the job offer.
  • If we would start using the Social Security online site for new hires, are the existing employees exempt? If I start verifing new employees do I need to go back and check longtime employees equally? Yes, everyone is treated and scrutinized equally, but is there a grandfather clause?
  • Don't verify existing employees. It is not allowed.
  • I thought we could ask for documentation of all employees again.
  • I believe you can do a one-time all-employee verification if you are starting new with the SSA system, as long as you verify EVERYONE. Not E-verify, but the SSA system.

Not absolutely positive though.
  • What is the difference? Social Security Online is where I set myself up at. What is E-verify.

If we start verifying everyone's SSN - what if they don't offer SSN but rather a passport. They wouldn't get checked then right? Is that everyone still? Ican't tell them what to see for proof of identity.
  • E-verify is a free, voluntary internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration. It allows employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of the newly hired employees. You can register for E-verify at [url]www.vis-dhs.com/employerregistration[/url].
  • Operated by DHS... Reason enough to avoid it.
  • E-Verify is REQUIRED in AZ, as of 1/1. Ugh. The registration requires users to complete a tutorial and pass a quiz before being allowed to use the system. The tutorial and quiz aren't that big of a deal, except the system times out frequently. It also repeatedly tells our supervisors that their password doesn't work, and I have to go in and set them up with a new one. Very annoying.

Other than the time-out and password issues, it's very easy to use. We haven't had anyone "fail" yet, which is wonderful. The only non-confirmations have been due to miskeying names, or supervisors accepting SS cards that say "valid only with INS work auth" but not getting the work auth. The ee can continue to work while we resolve the mismatch.

Denjen, even if you don't get a copy of the SS card, you'll have the number so you can pay people.
  • Thanks. I didn't think about the next step (payroll) involving the SSN.