Problem Employees

There are two employees in my company that work in the same department (department only has 6 EEs) and just can not get along. Both have been heard rasing their voice at eachother. On 2 occasions, EE1 came to me to discuss matters 'off the record'. I approached the supervisor who assured me that he has spoken to both employees. Yesterday, EE2 came to me to discuss 'off the record'. Neither one would like to make a formal complaint. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this situation?

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Perhaps we would be able to give some solutions if we knew what knid of situation it was. Can you tell us what the problem EE1 has with EE2? or vice versa?
  • Both should be advised that the conversations are not "off the record" as it pertains to a serious workplace issue. I often advocate conflict resolution techniques in these instances in which case there is a face to face meeting with the two and a mediator (usually HR).

Disturbing the workplace with arguements that impact others is a performance matter and both are subject to discipline for disrupting the workplacee.
  • I agree with Dasher. No off the record conversations with HR if they involve potentially damaging information. I would do an investigation to ascertain the validity of the complaints and find out if something is going on that requires disciplinary action.
  • Like the others, I don't do "off the record." (tho I try to honor confidentiality where I can) Like Rita, would like to know what their issues are. It might influence what I would do.
  • I still think that you need to know what the situation is before you arbitrailly shut down communications.

When someone comes into your office and asks to speak with you "off the record" do you just say I don't do off the record?
  • Thanks for responding, the problem between the employees is that they argue back and forth, raising thier voices with eachother. I know of 3 occassions in the last year that this happened. The employees sit in cubicles so the argueing is heard by the whole department. This week, the 'off the record' complaint mentioned there was finger pointing involved. I know something has to be done, I was thinking of setting up a meeting with the 2 employers, myself and their supervisor, who witnesses the arguements as they take place outside his office and stated he can handle it, but obviously he can not since it has came to my attention.
  • What are they arguing about?
    Anyway, think I would meet and have an "expecatations" session.
    Here are my expectations
    You don't have to like each other.
    Our work area will be professional
    Conduct yourselves accordingly
    Failure to do so will result in disciplianary action
    Consider yourselves warned.
  • This is a very frequent occurrence in today's workforce where people can't get along for the most petty of circumstances.

I will usually talk to both parties separately in an attempt to find out what the issue is and if I can determine who is at fault. Of course, they tell their story to their own advantage.

I then bring both of them into the room and let them express themselves in a rational manner. I ask if they think the issue can be resolved. Most of the time they say "yes". I just advise the expectation is that we get along well enough to work together in a professional manner and if this continues, one or both of them will have to leave the organization as we cannot tolerate a disruptive workplace.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes one or both do have to be terminated.

One interesting incident I had was between two employees who had been friends outside of work and their relationship went sour. Both of them were talked to, but I could suspect from my conversation with both of them where the issue was. One employee kept acting act, i.e., "forgetting" how to do things she had done for four years. When the other employee asked her to do something, she shot her "the bird" under the guise of scratching her nose. It became obvious that this person could not stay in our employment. She was terminated and of course, was very "shocked". It'a amazing what so called adults are capable of.

• I ceased being amazed at the behaviors from so-called adults long ago. Sometimes I feel like "babysitter" should be part of every supervisor's job description. It's a shame people just can't put their personal differences aside and work together professionally. We don't expect all of our employees to be best buddies, but we do expect them to behave courteously and professionally with their co-workers.

I had one supervisor recently come to me with similar complaints about a couple of her employees. At the end of our discussion, she said "I just wish I had adult employees!" If she was supervising a bunch of kids just out of high school or something it would have ben one thing, but the employees she was having problems with were both in their 40's or 50's and still couldn't get past behaving like they were in junior high.

I agree that if it goes past a certain point then something's got to give, and if talking with or otherwise disciplining the employees doesn't work, termination may end up being the only answer.
  • These employees should be talking with their supervisor. They sound immature and they probably want to talk with you "off the record" for a sympathetic ear. Dont fall for it. Let the chain of command work the way it should and redirect them back to their supervisor (the one with the authority to address the problem).

Never work harder to fix a problem than those who are actually involved.
  • You make a good point Paul, re Chain of command. In the interest of trying to "help" I have fallen into that myself.

In answer to your question Rita. . I just try to gently interupt at the beginning and say, something like I want you to know going into this, I can not guarentee this conversation will be off the record or confidential, but I will do what I can. .

• On this same topic or rather confidentiality of someone bringing an issue. I had a supervisor bring an issue to me after she had lunch with some outside the company inviduals. Her concern was that she does not want her name associated with the information no matter the result of an investigation. i told her I would do all I could to keep her name out of it but could not assure her of confidentiality.

Subsequently her boss came to have a philosophical (according to him) conversation about why I would ever need to give her name to anyone and why it couldn't just be kept confidential.

Though I did answer, I was wondering does anyone have words of wisdom they typically use?

Thanks