Three Signs of A Miserable Job

I had the opportunity to hear a diverse panel of "leadership" speakers today via simulcast. Of them all, the person I found most engaging was Patrick Lencioni, author of "The Three Signs of A Miserable Job" among other best sellers.

I plan to purchase the book next week. Has anyone read this or other books by Lencioni?

He is certainly a gifted presenter and if his books are as interesting and thought provoking as his talk today, I think I'll enjoy reading them.

If you are curious, the three signs of a miserable job are: irrelevance, immeasurement, and anonymity. It has nothing to do with the type of work done or the pay (as you probably guessed).

More info here: [url]http://www.tablegroup.com/books/signs/[/url]

Great stuff!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Immeasurability
    Anonymity
    Irrelevance

Those are the three signs of a miserable job. How many of them do you see in your organization.

I had a frustrated employee in my office yesterday. He was considering transfering out of one department to another. As we talked, it became clear he was struggling with "anonymity" more than anything.

We discussed a strategy for him to address a couple of the main issues with his spvsr next week. Hopefully that meeting will go well and the spvsr will really try to hear what he has to say.

• OK, Paul, I will be your friend since nobody else is answering.

Anonymity is a big one. I've been reviewing the results of our just-finished employee satisfaction survey for one of our companies, and of those who seem to be unhappy, the common thread is that nobody seems to notice them or care enough to communicate.

Performance evals aren't done timely or at all and nobody says anything to the employee, the employee isn't sent to Orientation and nobody tells the employee why they weren't sent or when they will eventually be sent. Some employees even said they were surprised to hear we have certain insurance benefits. (I specifically ask about this in the survey.)

Clearly some employees just feel invisible and unimportant to the organization. Can't say I blame them, in some cases. I know our supervisors DO care, but perception is reality. At least now I have some specifics I can review with the supervisors to make things better. Typically, employees just leave for another employer and say nothing to us. Thankfully we have this information now and maybe we can save some decent people...
  • It sounds like you have done something significant. You have identified a serious problem and are taking steps to address it.

Just curious, how are you communicating to those who took the poll? I know that follow up is important (and challenging).

I can relate to the frustration of knowing that supervisors DO care but somehow its not being communicated in an effective way. And you are right, perception is reality.

Personally, I think dealing with anonymity requires a top to bottom approach. The top leadership must know the names of the staff. But I think the real effort must be made by the supervisors to know their staff, their challenges, and communicate regularly that they care about them.

Some of this seems to go against the whole "I dont want to know anything about your personal life because maybe that could come back to bite me" HR approach. We spend 8-10 hours a day with our co-workers. We have to care about these people and share their lives. I know some people out there will disagree with me on that but that's ok.
  • I find this topic of particular interest because overall morale at our company has gone down the drain. Over the years we've gone from a relatively caring company to one that only cares about the bottom line. While the bottom line is important, the people that are involved in creating the product and getting it out the door to customers definitely feel invisible and not important. I hear it on almost a daily basis. When I try to share this information, the thought is that the employees are simply whining. And more and more employees are 'afraid' to say anything to their supervisors, or even ask questions as to the "why" of certain decisions, because the perception is they will get reprimanded and told it's "none of their concern" (and yes, this has happened in more than one department).

To put it into perspective -- I work in an office of 3 (HR mind you). You'd think that we would be somewhat familiar with each other. Not so. In fact, we're relatively 'lucky' if our VP even acknowledges us with a simple 'good morning'. We don't even have regular staff meetings, have not had a performance review in almost two years -- and when they are done they're typically negative and any positive comments for a job well done are not heard.

I'm sure you're thinking "why don't you find something else". Easier said than done. I am now the sole provider for my child as my husband passed away unexpectedly and cannot 'afford' to go to a new job where I will be expected to work an excessive amount of hours because my child comes first at this time, but I am certainly keeping my eyes and ears open and am consistently networking to find the right opportunity. Where this once was a company that people were proud to work for, employees are embarrassed to be here -- their words not mine.

I, for one, will be buying this book and hoping to get some very good insight and information and put to good use - even if it's in a new position.
  • Pattie, I dont think you are alone. I believe there are thousands of people like you working in challenging positions like what you described. Financially, they can't afford to just quit so they deal with it the best they can and hope for the day when they can turn in their two week notice.

I would be curious to know what has led to the change? Was it gradual? Did you have a management change? Somewhere along the line, you culture took a turn for the worse.

I think the only good news is that you CAN turn things around. It takes time and the support of your leadership. I am not sure you have those elements though. Change won't happen if the leadership simply dismisses complaints as "whining".

That is one of the reasons I have been with my current organization for 15 years. Good leadership that I respect and trust.

I am going to be reading the book soon. Maybe we can discuss it on this thread later. I think you are right, the book may not be able to turn your current situation around but it may help you recognize the kind of employment environment you will enjoy working for in the future.
  • Paul, we have had a change in leadership. A new CFO was brought in 3 years ago who was soon promoted to VP, and the CEO is allowing this person to run it all, even those areas they know nothing about. I understand the need to keep reigns in on finances, but trying to tell each section on the "how to's" of running their departments is amazing - especially with no background in our industry.

I have a large network in the HR community and this person's credentials were brought to my attention -- and they are not stellar. I advised my superiors prior to the actual start date and was reprimanded for doing so. The prior company was almost run into the ground and the same things are happening here. Mid-mgt has lost all respect for upper management and decisions are made that are boggling to the mind. Policies and procedures are established - then changed - and changed again -- and again, and again and again. And there is certainly more that I could say but would not be comfortable doing so on an open forum -- would be happy to share off-line but not here. They would probably make your hair stand up on end. To say that leadership here would back any changes for the positive is not possible.

I have 18+ years here as I did trust and respect -- Can't say that any longer.
  • What a heartbreaking situation. You are certainly welcome to share details via my e-mail if you want to vent. I agree with you that it doesnt sound like a "fixable" solution.

Are you documenting any of this? Might not be a bad idea.
  • Yes, I have certainly documented many things. Let me know your email address and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for the offer of venting!