Dog at Work????

This is really crazy.......Does anyone have any information on policies or osha standards or health department standards that would prevent an employee from bringing their dog to work? This particular employee happens to be a physician and is bringing their new puppy to the clinic. Who would think this would ever happen? They didn't ask permission; just showed up with a new puppy. I heard about it through the grapevine. Obviously, we don't have a written policy on this. I would never have thought this would happen. Not sure how to handle. Help!!!

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not sure, but nursing homes use cats and dogs as pets for the patients. They often roam the halls and have access to the rooms freely. A nursing home is also a workplace.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-14-08 AT 09:01AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Last year I visited a new doctor for a second opinion. When I walked into her office there were 2 large dogs laying on the rug. I expressed surprise and was informed that it was okay to have them in her office but not in the examing rooms.

However, I must add, this is Arizona.
  • vgmill,
    In the January 2008 issue of Arizona Employment Law Letter, check out a column that employment law attorney Justin Pierce (with Ford & Harrison in Phoenix) wrote, titled, "We're going to the dogs!" In the scenario he was exploring, bringing two terriers to work could lead to issues under the ADA and the FMLA as well as workers' comp. As a subscriber, you have access to the article in the newsletter archives. If you have trouble finding it, let me know. tk

(615) 661-0249 x 8068
  • This subject comes up from time to time. Most recently, it came up after a Beagle won the Westminster Dog Show. For an explanation of the law that governs this sort of thing, you can to to my blog at [url]http://hrheroblogs.com/theword/2008/02/15/the-aepa-must-be-changed/#more-320[/url]. Or you can go to YouTube and type in Animal Employment Protection Act. Feel free to visit my blog, [url]www.hrheroblogs.com/theword[/url] for other cutting edge stuff.

John Phillips
    Editor, Tennessee Employment Law Letter
    Miller & Martin
  • We have both a cat and a dog here. They are only in the office area, we are a manufacturing plant. The cat stays here all the time has free reign of the offices that wish to have her visit them otherwise doors are closed.

The dog is a maltese very small and stays in 1 office with the employee.

They are both great stress relievers and alot of people are surprised in a good way when they see them.

As far as policies, they are that the employee must get approval ahead of time and state if it is to be temporary or permanent(usually temporary). We have the right to revoke this priviledge at any time. We do state that at any given time no more than 3 animals are allowed on the premises and they must be trained. As for safety issues they are not allowed in the plant, they are not free to roam the offices with the exception of the company cat who has been a pest deterrent.
  • Interesting question. Here is a link to a website that promotes creating a pet-friendly workplace. [url]http://www.sfspca.org/advocacy/pets_at_work.shtml[/url]

I know in the heyday of the dot com boom, it was not unusual (so I have heard) to let employees bring their pets (usually dogs) to work. The idea being that these employees were often working long hours and it helped them to have the pet at work with them.

Our library has a cat and I love it. My kids love it. I think pets in the workplace can be a positive thing if its carefully thought through and everyone is on the same page.

At minimum, you might consider a policy now that the issue has been brought up. You might even involve the physician who brought the puppy. Ask him or her what they think would be a fair policy that would not compromise the health, safety, and productivity of your environment.

If you google "Pets In the Workplace" you will find a number of policies from other organizations.

I like this line from one policy " For the purposes of this policy, pets are not snakes, ferrets, rats and spiders."

They left out alligators.
  • At a former employer we supported a program that trained dogs to become guide dogs. So, employees who signed up were assigned a dog and trained on how to train the dog. These folks were allowed to bring the dog to work as they needed to be with the dog constantly to reinforce the training. We had an occasion where a dog sat quietly through a meeting, but when the trainer stood up at the end of the meeting, he got his feet tangled in the dog's leash and tripped. He injured his leg and, yes, it was an accepted workers' compensation claim! So, the moral is (from my point of view) write a policy prohibiting animals in the workplace.
  • But David, we have had people trip over purse straps, their own feet, and other things. Are you sure you want to ban pets because of that incident. The trainer should have watched where he/she was going, for goodness sake. LOL.
  • You have had quite a few responses, and I have nothing new to add except that pets at work are fairly common in our organization as well. We are a retirement community, and nearly half of our staff of 500 fill healthcare or related positions. The pets are a nice add on for the folks we serve and get to count toward state activities requirements to maintain licensing. It surely seems to be a phenomenom that started with healthcare providers because of the feel good effects. Could be that your physician really thought it would be of benefit to have his dog around. Obviously, there are issues that involve sanitation, allergies, and just plain fear by some folks. All of those should be addressed in whatever you eventually develop as a policy.

best wishes.
  • I wonder if anything furry roams the halls of the M. Lee Smith offices in tony Brentwood? Hmm?
  • We don't have any four-legged creatures, but a few years ago, I wouldn't have minded. When I came to work one morning, as I was crossing the dimly lit threshhold to my work area, I stepped over what I thought was a thin, seven- or eight-inch-long piece of dark string. Turns out, it was a snake. We released it into the wild (about 100 feet from the back door). Signed, Brentwood Tony

• See, an office badger would have taken care of that problem.
  • We occasionally have had employees in certain areas bring their dogs or even cats to work and as long as the area they're working in can accommodate it and the animal is well-behaved, we've never had any problem with it.

My husband had a co-worker who used to bring his dog to work and then leave it in his truck all day. He made sure to go out and walk it several times a day, and he left the windows down a crack and left water for the dog, but the dog got bored and his favorite "game" was to lay low in the seat until some unsuspecting person walked close by the truck and then he'd jump up and bark at them, startling them. I'm surprised nobody ever complained to management or called animal control or anything like that.
  • Believe it or not, we had this exact same issue before in our medical practice. The doctor had a puppy in the office and he was introducing the dog to patients as his "assistant". The dog could go whereever he wanted to and he did. The health department, thankfully, did not have to get involved, but that was going to be the next step.

Anyway, we had to develop a policy that only approved guide dogs could come into our practice. The doctor was not happy,but his staff was happier not having to deal with the poop.

PS: I'm a dog person and I would love to have my guys at work, but not everyone feels the same!!!!