PHR?

Is PHR the way to go? I have a BA in business. I am new to HR and would like to give myself credibility in the HR world. Is a PHR the best way to go? What other designation is there?

Please move my posting if I'm in the wrong place.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have a BSBA in Finance, and I went with the PHR. I plan on sitting for the SPHR in the next few years, though. For now, I'm relishing not studying for anything!

You can also get certifications in benefits, compensation, etc. Just do a search for "human resource certifications" and I'm sure you'll end up with tons! I, personally, would recommend staying with the HRCI designations.
  • For those interested in academic training, there is also a MS degree available in employment law. I'm almost one year into the 2-year program and have found it to be very insightful and beneficial. It is, however, a degree, which means going back to school, and runs around $20,000. Of my current class, 17 individuals from around the US (all online courses), 2 have SPHR, none have PHR, and several (including me) are planning to test for PHR when the classes end.

From sharing class assignments, the knowledge and experience the SPHRs bring to the table is impressive.
  • Hello,
    I don't post often, however I do read posts every morning, it keeps me sane! I am interested in what online school you are using for the MS in Employment Law Degree. I am considering finally completing my degree (Business Administration) I am thinking this will complement and possbily help with some of the credits that I need. Thanks! If you cannot post the name of the school feel free to email me [email]lisa@tbmpayroll.com[/email] . thanks and TGIF.
  • I too would like the scool information. [email]carole.owen@bgfh.com[/email] Thanks
  • I have had my SPHR for several years and never regretted getting it. I think if you look at job postings, if any certification is required it will usually be PHR or SPHR. The other certifications seem to be more specific -- such as training, compensation, etc., while the HRCI certifications are more all-emcompassing (in my opinion).
  • Thank you. I start the PHR this week. I know now that it is not at least a bad move.
  • I started a twelve-week class two weeks ago to study for the SPHR. It's actually open to both the S and PHR. The minimum education/experience requirements to test are the same for each certification, but the emphasis of each certification is different. Same study guide, different weight for the study areas.

I have no formal HR education but have been in a generalist position for over 12 years. This is really helping me figure out what I don't know, and it's been nice to learn how much I really do know. I am familiar with many of the concepts, I just didn't realize the concepts had "names."

This is definitely the way to go if you want to develop your HR career. The tough part is taking what you learn and applying it to your day-to-day life. Some of it is stuff that is not, and probably never will be, important to me, but it's fascinating nonetheless. I admit I've learned recently that I'm an education junkie. If I had more time and money, I'd probably just take various classes for the rest of my life. Alas, the real world keeps getting in the way. x:-)

My assistant and I are going through this together, so we have the benefit of discussion every day and using real world examples as we are learning.
  • I started the class this week also. I fear that I won't be allowed to take the test at the end of the course because I will have only one and one half years of experience. I'll have to keep reviewing it for another 6 months before I can take it. Scary. If I don't take the class now it will be six years before I can afford myself the time to attend. The class is an hour away (one way).

I too suffer from educationalism. My symptoms run scattered and touches into a variety of subjects. The point is I only skim the surface of a topic and move on, never becoming an expert on any one topic.

Now the question is SPHR or PHR. Which certificate travels better from company to company? Why take PJR if SPHR is better? does anyone have an opinion?
  • I think SPHR vs PHR really depends on where you are in your career and what level of positions you would be applying for at your next place of employment. Although I feel that I probably could have passed the SPHR, I went ahead and did the PHR because I wanted to be SURE I got my certification this time around, and I didn't want to wait until the next testing window. I think I'll probably go for the SPHR when my PHR certification runs out.

With all that said, I finally got my score confirmation in the mail, so I am officially selling my study materials...hopefully this post doesn't anger the forum moderators - I'm not sure how they feel about selling things...but if this gets edited, just e-mail me.

I'm selling my Distinctive HR CDs, which were REALLY helpful, and the Anne Bogardus book, which I used as my main study tool...for more info, e-mail me!

Sarah
  • From what I understand you must have at least 2 years of exempt level HR experience to qualify for either exam. If you already have a bachelors degree, that might take care of the lack of the final 6 months experience. Or, if you have several years management experience that included HR responsibilities (hiring/firing/disicpline, etc.) that might take care of it too.

There are six components of the exam. Each area is weighted differently depending on which exam you choose. Here it is straight from the HRCI study materials;

The first % is the PHR emphasis, second % is SPHR emphasis
    12% / 29% Strategic Management
    26 / 17 Workplace Planning and Employment
    17 / 17 HR Development
    16 / 12 Total Rewards (compensation)
    22 / 18 Employee and Labor Relations
    7 / 7 Risk Management

One is not necessarily "better" than the other (they say) It's more important to consider your current position or where you expect to be in the next year or so.
  • Like Q, getting my PHR was as much "validation" for me as much as anything. After studying all the materials and passing the test I got over that "what don't i know?" bad scary feeling.

I studied for my test with a group from my SHRM chapter and that was definitely the way to go for me. Misery loves company!

Good luck!
  • You hit the nail right on the head.
    I too want to get over the "what don't I know" bad scary feeling.
    Thank you for validating my feelings.

• I sat for the SPHR back in 98. From what I understand the PHR is more testing the knowledge of the law, etc. The SPHR tests your knowledge of how you would use the law, in different situations. That's where the longevity of practicing HR management is needed.
  • If you meet the eligibility requirements for the SPHR, you may want to go for that one so you don't ever have to take the exams again. However, I've known people who failed the SPHR several times, and the probably could have passed the PHR.

Whichever one you take, don't let it lapse once you get it!
  • This sounds so familiar! I have been in a family business for over 30 years and spent the last 20+ in accounting/HR functions. Only NOW am I starting classes (March 4) to prep for the PHR certification test. I figure circumstances could change, and I might have to find another position. (Yes, I am a member of the family . . .but, you never know!)

I laughed outloud over "professional student" description. If money was no object I'd love to go to school all the time.

BTW, any posters also use Prospera software? If so, would like your feedback.

I have not checked postings in awhile, and every time I come back there is always new and wonderful (and applicable) stuff. You guys are like a shot in the arm.
  • Well, that sure beats a shot somewhere else.