Testing for Secretary Positions

I'm looking to see what type of testing you do (if any) when you interview for secretaries? We currently do a five minute typing test and a spelling test. I'm looking for a new spelling test in addition to finding out what you all do/don't do! Thanks.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'd be happy to email our test if you want to post your address.

Terry
  • Sure. [email]jlutz@lsnj.org[/email] is my email address. Thanks!
  • G.Neil has a selection of nice tests that cover attention to detail, basic math, spelling, filing, and other administrative tests.

They are inexpensive and self-scoring.

And, if you order from them, they will send you their catalogue for the rest of your life.
  • We also test for typing & spelling; however, we test for spreadsheet expertise and use of an adding machine, depending on the department. I work with the department manager to give me a replica of a spreadsheet they utilize in the department so that the test is relevant to the work that will actually be conducted and is a better factor on skill level. In the past I have checked on various testing modules, but none of them that were available really "worked" with what our managers wanted. By developing tests for each department, I have found it's much easier for the hiring managers to "understand" the results! And, it's also made the managers happy -- which is a definite plus for me!
  • Another option would be to work with a local staffing agency. We have done this in the past and tested in data entry, typing skills (wpm), Microsoft Office program knowledge on Word, Excel and sometime Access. This is easiest for us as it's third party administered and we are able to use the results as part of our screening process on the applicants. Plus the pricing is quite cheap - especially when compared to your time involved such as testing the applicants and checking their work etc.