Other consultants asking employees for SSN and DOB

Please Help. I am a recent college graduate and am working as an HR generalist with an engineer consulting company and I was recently asked by one of our employees if they are required to provide their SSN and DOB to other sub-consulting agengies they are working with? My gut instant was they should not provide this information over the phone or internet and that if the other agency provides a written request then I would provide the employee's information. I did some online research on employee/employer privacy acts. I would appreciate any information or even sample policies and or forms that I could send out to these agencies stating that my ABC company needs a request of this information in writing. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-07 AT 11:16AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Not an area that I'm familiar in but my immediate reaction if that happened at my employer would be to advise any team members receiving this request to direct the person asking them to me. That way you have a chance to talk to the person asking for it and can get a better understanding of why they need that information as you may find it's not really necessary.