How far can you go to help an EE?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-13-07 AT 01:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I have a recent new hire that has exhibited some red flags to warrant concern on my part to discuss with her a possible eating disorder. I provided her some information on a couple of support groups, also suggested a therapist, doctor, and nutritionist. She also has some other health issues and has verbally said that she is taking high doses of pain medication. To my knowledge she has not yet sought out help for any of her conditions and her work is being effected. My question is, beyond providing her with the suggested information, how much more can I get involved without crossing any legal boundaries but yet get her the attention she needs so that she can be healthy and focused while at work? Any feedback would be welcomed.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First, you may want to move this post to another part of the forum so it gets more attention.

Second, you've already provided info on support groups and suggested medical personnel - be careful that you don't get into "regarded as" territory.

Unless the ee comes forward to you specifically regarding the issue, I would NOT try bringing it up until it is affecting her work. Then, address it in the context of a performance issue. It's hard to separate your caring self from your management self sometimes - but remember, what goes on outside the workplace is rarely the employer's business, and therefore, you really don't want to interfere unless there's a legitimate business reason to do so.

Good luck!
  • First, I would like to introduce myself. I am new to the Forum, not to mention posting. So NeedCoffee, thanks for your suggestion. I believe moving a post, though, is left up to the MLS moderator(s).

Secondly, her work is being effected so that will be the approach, going forward, I will take.

Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Just to clarify, we have indeed moved the post to this area. Thanks to those of you who suggested we move it. And, DAVille, welcome to the Forum! tk

• I am having difficulty getting past the phrase "recent new hire". If there are performance problems already, what lies ahead? I strongly suggest that you keep the employer/employee boundary clear and sharp. Once the line is crossed into her personal health problems, you create a larger issue.

Evaluate her job performance and make your recommendations structly on that.
  • >I am having difficulty getting past the phrase
    >"recent new hire". If there are performance
    >problems already, what lies ahead?

Oh, I thought you were going to say you had difficulty getting past the phrase "recent new hire" because it's redundant. ;-)

• It may sound cruel, but in our line of work we could not handle this situation so I would terminate for the performance issues. Ritaanz is right, where will it go from here?
  • I think you can help her in two ways. One,offer her some resources to help which you have. Second, hold her to the same expectations you hold other employees.

It doesnt help her to coddle her or give her the unrealistic idea that employers will put up with sub par performance.

You dont have a history with this person so you really need to be careful. If this was a twenty year all star who was having a difficult time, I would probably take a different approach.
  • I would steer away from getting into someone's medical problems. I agree with Paul. Offer resources, but hold her to the same work performance expectations as everyone else.