MSDS

Is there anyone that can share with us ideas on how to bring our MSDS program up to date. If anyone can share how they developed their MSDS program or give us useful resources that helped them develop their program we would be very grateful. We are doing all we can to understand the rules but if anyone can help us with some useful ideas we would be thankful. This includes, how you get your MSDS sheets, how you have them arranged, how you train your employees on it, how you have made it available to your employees, and so on if anyone can help it would be a help to us thanks!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our work comp. carrier has a loss risk manager that provides assistance to us on OSHA regs. You might check with your carrier. Read the OSHA Regs., inventory all the chemicals used for cleaning, processing, etc. Ensure all secondary containers are labeled and train all employees. The chemical manufactured is required to provide the MSD sheets. We have an office setting, so our number of MSD sheets is fairly easy to maintain. Get your purchasing agent and maintenance supervisor involved. Good luck.
  • If you buy any chemicals from a source other than a supplier (Wal-Mart for instance) most products have a 1-800 number on the container. You can call that number and they will either fax or e-mail you the MSDS. You also need to remind your buyer that anytime they change products they need to obtain the new MSDS. Make training on the MSDS part of your orientation. Employees should know what an MSDS is, what the section PPE means and where they can look to find all your MSDS. I always arrange mine in alphabetical order.
  • As an industrial launderer, we have a large MSDS program. Our major chemical supplier offers training on the proper handling and storage of the chemicals used in the wash process. All containers they deliver are marked and NFPA labeled. Most chemical suppliers will provide this service.

You'll need a MASTER MSDS BOOK/FILE with a spreadsheet listing the MSDS sorted by Supplier and possibly a 2nd sorted by your own assigned MSDS #. I will be happy to email a page to you.

Each department will need an MSDS Book relevent to the chemicals, oils, solutions used in their department with a table of contents as used in your master book. Be certain to include your fire extinguisher service in the types of chemicals you are using. Special solutions may be required for containing a fire or spill.

With regard to using the Hazardous Labels, each MSDS Sheet provides you with the NFPA Hazard Identification. This will translate easily to the kits you can purchase for labeling unmarked containers.

Sometimes the most difficult aspect is employee buy in for wearing the personal protective equipment necessary when handling those chemicals, oils and solutions. They have been handling, absorbing, inhaling, spraying, etc. for years and claim there has been no effect on their health. Supervisors, Safety Committees, Peer Trainers, Management and all Leadership must be an example to all employees to make a program of this importance work. Consistency in enforcement is also key. But you know that already.

For training purposes, check with the
    National Safety Council
    The Film Library
    4553 Glenoe Ave
    Suite 150
    Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
    (800) 421-9585
    [email]California@nsc.org[/email]

Your state should also have a Safety Council with video training available. The cost is minimal for video rental ($40/tape/week).

• If you could email me that page I would be very grateful. My email address is [email]scottk@sssteelservices.com[/email]. Thanks again.
  • We have several departments that each deal with different types of chemicals. I did an invetory of the chemicals on hand and called my suppliers and requested MSDS on each chemical and asked to automatically be sent MSDS on all new chemicals that we purchase, addressed to my attention so I can make sure the information is kept current. For things like Windex just google the name and MSDS and you can easily find the most recent MSDS free of charge.
    Each department has a right to know station containing a loose leaf notebook with the MSDS. Be sure to make a table of contents for each notebook. I also have a master notebook for all departments in my office. Good Luck.