Applicant hired, never showed keeps applying now for positions

The applicant was interviewd and hired when she put in her first application. She lived about 75 miles away at the time but was moving into the area within two weeks. When her first day came she never showed. The supervisor tried calling her and never got an answer or return call.

Here is my problem. That all happened about one and a half years ago. Since that time she has applied twice and emailed her resume twice when we have an opening. I guess she thinks that we forgot what happened. Does anyone have a nice way of telling her we gave you a shot and you blew it?

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why be nice?

Dear Applicant:

You were supposed to report to work on __________. You didn't. You will not be considered for any positions.

Sincerely

HR Manager
  • Guess I don't have to be nice.

Thanks Joannie!
  • Well if you don't have to be nice.....

Dear No Show,

Sucks to be you.

Sincerely,

Your Want-a-be Employer
  • And I get in trouble for being too direct?
  • That's happened to me several times over the past year. I either ignore them or if they call I tell them point blank I won't hire them after they stood us up previously.
  • I had something similar happen this summer. The lady actually called on Wednesday, asking if she could re-apply for the same position she stiffed us on.

I told her that she could send in her resume just like everyone else who applies for the position and that she would be considered in the general applicant pool. However, I also told her that our past experiences with her would also be considered in any hiring decisions.

I wished her the best of luck (dripping with irony and sarcasm, of course) and hung up.
  • If you expect her to continue applying and e-mailing, I think you need to be direct and discuss how the past incident will effectively proclude her from being considered for any future positions.

• I agree with fellow Oregonian, Paul. I would call her and, politely and professionally, remind her that she was previously hired but did not show up for work. I would then ask her why she thinks the company should now consider her for a position after that experience.
  • I would be very hesitant to call. If you ask the question David suggested, be ready for the answer. She may say, "Well my mom or my son or may sister died the day before." How are you going to respond to that?

If she is bothering you to the point where you would save time contacting her, write her a letter.
  • My response would be: I am sorry for your loss. However, that was 18 months ago. Why did you not call us to explain?
  • "Well my son was abducted and it took six months to find his body. The job was the furthest thing from my mind. Actually the pain from this event has not worn off in 18 months. But now I'm ready to get back into the profession and really think I can do a great job."

I realize this is very unlikely to happen. My only point is to be cautious when opening yourself up with a phone call. It's a conversation I would not want to have.
  • I would agree with Smace to the extent that people like this usually have excuses for everything. Excuses are a way of life for them.

A phone conversation does open you up to an uncomfortable exchange but if you stick to your guns, you can still communicate your position.

• Yes, but they should have provided that excuse prior to or immediately after failing to show up for work. Despite all the previous discussion, I stand by my original post. Send them a short, to the point letter and move on.
  • Can you see this scenario?

You: We'll keep your application on file, but I must tell you we will have to take into account the fact that we hired you 18 months ago and you never showed or called.

Her: OMG!!!! Was that you? My husband opened the letter and read it. He put it on the table and the dog somehow got it chewed it up. My husband insisted that the job offer was from XYZ company. No wonder they were so confused when I showed up ready for work! Oh dear! Please forgive me for this mix up. I really would have come to work. You can tell by my constant emails and calls that I really want to work for you. Won't you please reconsider?

You (probably): Am I on Candid Camera?
  • I am sending her a letter written much like Joannie's post.

I have really enjoyed all of your comments on this! I will have to post some of my other wonderful experiences.
  • This was a good example of a situation for which there is no one right answer. Everyone's response was appropriate. However, personally, I would still make contact with the applicant. My experience has taught me that many (if not most) issues I deal with are the result of a lack of direct communication. The applicant is now left to make assumptions as to why she is not being interviewed when she was qualified last year (assuming this is the same position or at least the same qualifications). Will she assume it is her gender, age, ethnicity? A frank and direct conversation will alleviate the assumptions.

And, if she does respond with "my son was abducted...", perhaps you will want to take the mitigating circumstances into consideration and give her another chance. After all, without hearing her side of what happened, we are apt to make the assumption that she is a flake, when in reality, she could be a great employee who had a disastrous event happen.
  • I would send her a letter stating she is no longer eligible for consideration for employment. Something like,

"Dear.....

We have received your application/resume' for our opening for (TITLE). I am writing to inform you that you are no longer eligible for consideration for employment with (COMPANY).

We have taken this action based on the fact that you were hired by us to report to work (DATE) and failed to appear or call. Because of your no-show/no-call status, we will not consider your application for future employment.

Sincerely,"