Walmart

Is the success of Walmart a positive example of what's great about this country or a negative example of the dark side of capitalism?

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-22-07 AT 09:29AM (CST)[/font][br][br]What success are you looking at? Their hiring practises? Their benefits? Hiring Part timers? Prices? Number of stores?
  • It's both.

Anyone can make it big here, no matter how small they start.

Anyone can be greedy here, no matter how big they are.
  • Like many things in life, Walmart is both good and bad. Walmart has engaged in employment practices that should make all HR professionals cringe, and they do negatively impact "mom and pop" businesses in areas where they are located; but they also bring economic proposperity to the locations with jobs and low prices. The question is, where is the balance between the positive and negative effects?
  • I used to think Walmart was targeted because some people just don't like anyone or any company to be successful. But lately, I have less and less respect for the company.

I am basing most of my opinions on the Walmart that is near my parents in law house. Its generally dirty. The bathrooms are disgusting. The employees are (usually) only moderately helpful.

I have heard stories about cost cutting HR practices that really bother me.

The arrival of a Walmart will usually spell doom for small downtown merchants. They just cant compete with Walmarts prices.

Recently, a brand of dog treat sold at Walmart was found to be tainted. Walmart issued no recall but quietly removed the product from its shelves.

Behind the "aw shucks" Sam Walton image of a successful American entreprenuer who drove the same old truck most of his life seems to be this monolithic death star of corporate greed and cut-throat business practices.

The Walmart near my parent in laws house has a McDonalds, vision shop, hair salon, bank, kids play area, auto center, and probably a few other things I haven't noticed.

Walmart has also made some noise about getting into the health care industry.

• The two Walmarts in my town are both clean and full of nice helpful employees. I shop there a lot.

When I was in the L.A. area in January I went into one for something. Though I had no trouble at any other store in that area, the clerk whom I asked for help in the Walmart did not speak English. I left without buying anything.

Nae
  • We have 2 Walmarts. One is crowded and messy. The other is 1st rate. I shop at WalMart the same as Target or Shopko. WalMart has good employment practices and bad. I wonder how many PT employees Target has compared to WalMart. Unions would love to get into WalMart. I believe they are somewhat behind all the negative media on WalMart. Not that WalMart is innocent, but how many other companies are conducting business in the same manner, but it's not in the newspapers. IMHO
  • Like I said, I am basing most of my opinions on the one Walmart in Washington that I have visited and the effect it has had on the local businesses.

Interestingly, Walmart has crushed the K-mart which is located just a couple blocks away. While Walmarts huge parking lot is bustling, there are usually only about 15 cars in the K-mart parking lot.

I am not pro-union but I would like to see Walmart use its position of influence to set an example for fair treatment of employees, competitive benefits, and no wage/hour shenanigans.

And maybe clean the bathrooms more often.
  • WalMart is definitely the low price leader. I shop there every couple of weeks because their prices are just so much lower than anyone else. However I will tell you that I never have a pleasant experience there. They are always extremely crowded and the one I shop at is always out of about 1/4 of the stuff on the shelves. Customers blocking isles with their buggy's and screaming children make it about as pleasant an experience as a root canal. But hey that's just my humble opinion.

Ginger
  • I agree Catbert. I avoid WalMart like the plague. They may be successful from a purely business standpoint, but I think they have failed miserably in adding to the fabric of America. They have done nothing but reinforce America's growing trend of instant gratification/"I want it now" mentality. What's more amazing is that Americans are willing to sacrifice quality in the name of convenience and bargain basement prices.

I think WalMart fills a need in that it allows people with limited funds the ability to have one-stop inexpensive shopping, but I am quite dismayed at the way WalMart has taken over towns and eliminated small businesses.

And don't get me started on WalMart's groceries. If you've never shopped at local farmer's markets/delis/bakeries, you're missing out not only on the experience of it all, but superior quality!
  • Capitalism is based on making money. Beat the competition. Win over the customers. Have a full parking lot and customers walking out the door with the purchases they wanted and maybe even a few extras in hand. From the anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere, it seems Walmart is successful. They employe a large number of people, provide a service at a cost anyone can afford, and they earn a profit. What more can you ask for? That's what it's all about.
  • Great subject Paul-
    The Walmart subject hits a nerve that makes me crazy. My highschool daughter needed a subject for a paper last year and I suggested Walmart. She did all the reseach and was amazed with what she found. When she read it, the entire class was in a heated debate. The main idea of Walmart has a negative impact on this country that most don't even realize. When they capitalize on business by offering lower prices, that in turn puts others out of business and jobs, therefore while everyone thinks they are getting a great deal at Walmart, their taxes are going up to pay for the people on welfare that no longer have jobs. My husband's business has suffered from Walmart and pretty soon...Walmart will be our only option!
    Now that I vented about that...I hope everyone has a nice day! :) I really don't have much time to post, but I try to read every morning and you guys help me so much!
  • Wow, lots of weighing in on this subject! Walmart is pretty much the only game in town but most of the population appreciates them being here because they do pay decent wages and generate a lot of sales tax revenue.
    Walmart is ruthless in their pricing. They negotiate the lowest possible prices from their suppliers then control their markup to ensure a decent profit but keep prices lower than others. They didn't get there overnight and they ain't goin away. Southwest Airlines did something similar with their no frills planes and flights and they are now the largest U.S. carrier. While other airlines were going broke they were making profits and expanding. Only the strong (and smart) survive.

• Walmart definitely brings out opinions! I really think it depends upon the management of each of the stores. Where I live, we have several Walmarts, one is always over crowded, dirty, out of stock, and unorganized. However, the another one across town in a newer suburb is always busy, but much cleaner, organized, and more helpful!

On a side note, while in college (several years ago), I worked at a Walmart! Although, I have no desire to return to that position at this time, at that time in my life, I found the pay to be fair and the management staff worked as best they could with my schedule, and my co-workers were great! I had a positive experience working there!
  • Lisa, I too worked for Wally World. and was a proud Walmartian for some 20+ years. It most definately has much to do with the local management. When the store manager's bonus, in some cases the majority of their pay, is based on the net profit of their store, you can bet some of them are going to do everything they can to make as much profit as possible. Some even to the point of bending/breaking the rules. It was always so aggravating to learn of what was going on in a few stores that had an impact on the entire company. Becasue it was not what was being directed from the home office.
  • Dutch, is it true that Walmart does have an EAP?

Don't you think that home office dictates how rewards are distributed and therefore how store managers are encouraged (directly or indirectly) to behave?

Can you really blame Walmart's reputation on a few rogue stores?
  • Paul; I left them about 14 years back. At that time they did have an EAP. Can't say today. Absolutely during my time the HO directed how rewards were earned/distributed and no doubt continue to do so; but they also had strick rules regarding following DOL and other regualtions.
    When employing a million + and have how many thousands of stores, clubs, distribution centers, etc. a "few" rogue stores takes on a new meaning.
    I am not attempting to defend what some have done. Just saying that when you have this many employees you can't ensure that everyone will follow all the rules.
  • Paul,
    I know that Walmart has some bad media, however, they do offer opportunities to those that other's do not. They employ handicapped and older americans. We have a young man named Michael at one of our Walmart's that is Down's Syndrome and he is the nicest person I have ever met. Also it is not that hard to climb from clerk to manager if you want to do that. I have met several people over the years that have done that, I have a step daughter that did it.

Walmart's in our area and the next town over have formed an alliance with the area Farmers and we can now go to Walmart and purchase from the Farmer's market isle. All locally grown foods, fresh and restocked by the farmer's as needed. The fresh sweet corn is great.

When Middleton High School caught on fire and burned down last year I didn't see any of the other stores helping out. Walmart came in and supplied new computers, School supplies and Walmart gift cards for the teachers that lost everything in their classroom. Then on top of that the employees of Walmart came over and helped move out burned stuff and clean up the school.

I didn't see any help from Kmart, Target, Costco, Fred Meyer,Kohls, Macys or J.C. Penny's all of them have stores in our area. And I can tell you that K-mart in our area has the dirtiest store I have ever been in and the rudest clerks.

Sorry but I am thinking that all the large stores do the employment with the temps and all and the fast food places are worse and all the media is on Walmart...but only the bad media...if they are bad than let it be known but also give them credit for the good they do.

Shirley
  • Wow, great post Shirley. You have put Walmart in a better light. I have heard of some of Walmart's charitable acts. I know they also let RVers stay in their parking lot which is a pretty smart move if you think about it.

Sounds like Walmart has some great qualites and some bad press. I still worry about the way a new Walmart store can pretty much trample mom and pop stores and small downtown shopping areas.

Maybe Walmart IS America. Big, powerful, and mostly good.
  • Not too many years ago, and it still may be going on, there were "experts" traveling around the country going into towns that were getting a new Wal-Mart and these folks were educating the local merchants in how they can compet with Wal-Mart.
    Bottom Line - you can't beat their prices so you have to provide for your customers what they don't get at Wal-Mart. Such as unequaled exceptional customer service, fast/easy in and out shopping, provide the speciality items that the big store doesn't carry and be very involved in "your" community.
  • This is a true story:

I was perusing the small local bookstore in Chehalis Washington and I overheard a conversation between the book store owner and a teenage girl.

The bookstore owner was talking with the girl about the newest Harry Potter books. They had a very nice conversation for about 30 minutes about the series and the latest edition.

Finally, the owner says "We will have the latest book (I forget what its called) here next week. I can put one aside for you."

The girl replies "Oh, I'll probably pick it up at Walmart."

I about fell over. The bookstore owner was even wearing a button that read "Support your downtown shops!" or something like that.

It got kind of quiet and then the owner responded but I dont really remember what he said. I felt sorry for him. He had spent a good deal of time talking with this girl only to be stabbed in the heart.

For some people, price is all they care about. They may regret it when their local business shut down and the personal customer service they have enjoyed is no longer available.

• In our local Walmart, there is a general rule for bad service. Not to mention that there are over 20 checkouts, but only half are open on a good day. You're never guaranteed the same items from one trip to the next. However, I continue to shop there because it's a "one stop shop" and has much better pricing than our local store...and the employees are much more presentable.

I don't know how any small local retailer makes it. The days of private jewelers are also going by the wayside. Sad, really.
  • They are in it for the money the same as most major chains. When McDonalds sets up a new store next to a small cafe they usually previal.

We had a little coffee express store here that we all loved and Moxie Java set up right next to it and now we only have Moxie Java.

It is how it is here, but I think that they do give back to the community and when I go in my Walmart store they are friendly to me even if I just spent 3 days at my mountain cabin and look like it.

I can afford to go anywhere, but let me tell you one time I went to Boise Towne Square mall in Boise, it is a huge mall with Dillards and JC Penny's, Marshall's, and Sears as well as about 50 other stores. I didn't dress up much a pair of capri's and a top and some comfortable sandles, I am 58 after all. I wanted a bedroom set. comforter, shams, curtains, towels the whole bit for my new home I just purchased. I went to the service desk to order a bedspread from the catalogue because it was not on the shelf. The lady told me that is pretty expensive are you sure you can afford it? There were other people standing around and I was very much embarrased for me and for my daughter. I went next door to Dillards and the young man there was so nice, I bought everything I needed, and yes I spend way too much, but I had it to spend and I was just as valuable a customer as the lady in the suit beside me , I just wore comfortable clothing because I wear a suit at work all day.

Walmart doesn't care if I wear capri's, shorts, Jeans or a suit. The clerks treat everyone the same. Michael still carrys out my groceries and puts them in the car, George greats me at the door and Catrina checks me out at the checkstand. I go there because of the people. Yes the store is crowded, and yes it is cluttered and the shelves are too close together, but I feel welcome and valuable as a customer there so I go there. Why do you think all the people go there instead of the other places...it is prices..but I think it is so much more than that.

Shirley
  • It all depends on the location. Some of our area WalMarts are OK, some are pretty scary. When I do go to my WalMart, I go early-early on a Sunday or during weekday business hours when few people are there. I avoid it completely on Halloween and during Christmas week.

The prices and one-stop-shopping are the reason I go. Otherwise, there is minimal eye contact from the employees, they seem not to notice if their cleaning equipment or carts are blocking the aisles, and the checkout lanes are minimally staffed.

I gotta say though, it's not all that different at other large stores. Target? Same. Mall department stores? Same. How often do you go to a department store and you have to hunt to find an employee actually manning the register? I end up hauling my purchases to the jewelry counter because there is usually an employee "trapped" back there.
  • Correct you are. I go either before work or after work. Don't ever go at noon hour. And never go at Halloween or Christmas time. You might get mobbed.

I do love thier outside garden center. It just has everything from plants to building blocks.

Some stores are actually better than others. One thing I never get is the switch and bait that I get at Shopko, Kmart or Sears. Item advertised in the flyer and you go down to the store and they only had one and it is sold so they try to sell you something 3 times the price. Shopko is the worst for that one!

If Walmart advertises it they usually have enough for at least the first day of the ad and they will give you a raincheck.

Shirley
  • Oooooh - you gave me flashbacks of my horrendous Sears experience.

We bought a new fridge, stove/oven and vent from Sears a few years back. Spent several thousand dollars.

They didn't have my oven in stock so they sent me a similar model, (there was enormous confusion over this) then when it was time to switch them out for the one I really wanted, they double charged my credit card, then the ice dispenser on the fridge broke, etc etc etc.

I still go back to buy replacement water filters for the fridge and the special cleaner for the cook top but I get in and out as fast as possible. Even that shopping experience is often difficult. Sometimes after standing by the register for a while, I have to interrupt the clerks from their chat session so one of them can get my filter.

I know Sears has a great reputation for quality products but next time I need large appliances, I am shopping somewhere else.
  • Ditto on Sears. They have poor customer service, but the store which treated me the worst was J.C. Penny's. They have the snootiest clerks of any store in the nation..maybe the world. I much prefer to shop at Dillards or Macy's.

Clothing is one thing I have to go to another store to buy...can't find what I need at Walmart.

Shirley
  • My fear is that Walmart will eventually reach a level of size and power (if they haven't already) that they can begin making choices about what products and services get brought to market.

A lack of competition is generally never a good thing either.
  • Competition is good. I am suprised that other stores havent challenged Walmart.

If that many people go there there has to be a reason. If people stopped going than Walmart could not put other stores out of business.

Maybe other stores should figure out why people go to Walmart. It is not all price it is also convenience. I don't want to go to the Drugstore then the food store, than the hardware store and then the garden store. Gas costs way too much and it is not going down anytime soon.

I think the people dictate what is on the market by what they purchase. If the store doesn't sell it than it won't stock it.

Give the people what they want and they will visit your store.

Shirley
  • Daily Show on Walmart:
    [url]

Hear the CEO of Walmart say with pride "Our policy is that every employee get paid for every hour worked."

A pretty scathing satire of "big box mart":
    [url]http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=5681418[/url]

There is even a very professional looking website devoted to fighting Walmart: [url]www.walmartwatch.com[/url]

They have published "A Handshake With Sam" which states 7 principles of ethical business they would like Walmart to agree to.

As the nation's largest employer with 1.8 million workers, they feel that Walmart ought to take a position of leadership in the area of corporate responsibility.

I tend to agree.

Here is the publication "A Handshake With Sam"

[url]http://walmartwatch.com/img/blog/handshake_with_sam.pdf[/url]