Employee in Jail on Weapons and Drug Charges

It has come to our attention that one of our newer employees (hired within the past 90 days) has been ARRESTED for carrying weapons and possession of narcotics (not at work). It appears that she is currently in jail.

At this time, I am counseling the employee's manager that we would want to follow our attendance policy regarding her attendance. Today is the first day that we expect her to report to work for her afternoon shift. If she does not report to work for 3 days, we can terminate her for no call no show (per our policy). If she calls in, we'll have to follow the details of our attendance policy.

Other than that, there is really nothing we can do at this time. Correct?

If the charges our dropped, we will not have an issue, however if she is convicted (which is definitely a possiblity) what options do we have regarding continuing her employment? Can we terminate her? We do have a drug policy that prohibits taking, selling drugs and alcohol while at work, but does not address outside of work. Has anyone had this situation before? If so, your insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Lisa

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You say this ee was hired within the past 90 days. Do you have a 90 Day Introductory Period? In a couple cases like this, I have followed the 3 day no call, no report policy and terminated or just terminated because the person was not available to work. If past the Introductory Period, I waited the 3 days, if less than 90 days, immediate termination.
  • We do have an Introductory Period, and will take her attendance and performance into consideration into her 90 day review. Her performance has exceed expectations, and she has not had other attendance issues. Since I e-mailed, we did find that she was released from jail and is waiting for a hearing. We expect that she will report to work as if nothing happened.

We are planning to monitor the situation. We have been debating whether we should bring this up to her, or see if she mentions anything. Any advice?

• Lisa,
    The information you have now is "hearsay" and the employee has only been arrested - not convicted - at this time so this could be sticky. Unless you have a policy that says "if you are arrested on weapons and drug charges we will terminate", you really shouldn't address the arrest. I would stick with the attendance policy while in the introductory period angle. I would not bring it up unless the employee broaches the subject and then I would only ask about attendance issues associated with the consequences of the arrest. You most likely have other employees who have been arrested and you've never heard about it. My 2 cents.
    TX Annie
  • I agree with Annie. A couple years ago I had an ee who was arrested for drug possession - he was selling apparently, and making a bomb threat. The newspaper added that he and his roommate also kept "guard" snakes to scare people away, but that in itself was not criminal. I think there were a few other charges, but don't remember for sure. I could have sent him out for a drug test and he would have failed, but he came to me the next day after being released on bail and telling me he has admitted to using drugs and had already checked himself into rehab. Our policy allows ee's to admit prior to a drug test that they are users and sign up for rehab and we will not terminate as long as they follow the rules and successfully complete rehab. So, since he had not been convicted, we followed our policy. He was very cooperative with us and with the courts and ended up with probation since he had no prior record. We drug tested him monthly for awhile and he seems to be a success story. He's still here.
  • I guess I'm a heartless bastard, because I would terminate now.
  • Our policy has been to follow the attendance policy for incarceration, whether it's the initial arrest or trial sentence. Your Introductory period attendance policy is more lenient than ours. But if she hasn't missed any work (yet), I would advise to monitor her behavior for possible drug effects or intoxication. And even though it is hearsay, I'd still be concerned with the weapons issue.

• How long has she been employed? a week? 2 weeks? Our 90 day introductory period does not allow any absences other than for real emergencies.

I'm curious to know how it came to your attention. If she approaches you when she comes to work and tells you, that is a plus.

• Personally, I would follow your attendance policy and let everything take its course. If there is a conviction, then you can evaluate her fitness for the position she holds.

"weapons and narcotics" is pretty vague. I would probably confront her and say "this is what I have heard. Tell me your side of the story." I think you have the right and responsibility of determining whether this employee is a threat to others.

People who get involved with drugs often slide a long way down and find themselves doing bad things along the way. I dont believe that means they are all bad people. Like Ray's story, sometimes you can help someone get back on track, especially since she has done very well on the job up until now.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
  • Thank so much for all of your feedback. At this point, we are going to follow the policies related to attendance and appropriate workplace behavior. The employee showed up for work as scheduled yesterday, and did a great job. She did not mention anything to us. We are going to monitor the situation, her attendance, and behavior (as we do of all employees) and take it one day at a time.

We actually found out about this from another employee who brought it to the attention of the supervisor; the supervisor went online and pulled up the arrest, complete with her mug shot.

I'll let you know if there are any more developments.
  • We encountered an almost identical situation last year; employee arrested on a Saturday for gun & narcotics (Cocaine) possession. If an individual is caught in or out of the workplace with illegal drugs, our policy is to give the individual a drug test. In the case of an arrested person, if they pass the test we allow them to return to work, pending the outcome of their trial. If they fail the test they are fired IAW our published "Drug Free" policy. The individual in question showed up for work on Monday morning and, instead of proclaiming his innocense, he used the argument that he did it outside the workplace and we couldn't make him take a drug check. We showed him a copy of our drug policy and the letter that he signed acknowledging he had been briefed on & had been given a copy of the policy to read. IAW that policy, we terminated him for admitting to us that he used illegal drugs over the weekend.

Bottom line - I would at least perform a drug check on the individual in question, since she was arrested on a drug charge. I think the drug check would stand up as being resonable under your circumstances.
  • Thanks for your feedback, Rita. We do not conduct drug tests before hiring our employees (it just really has not been a problem for us until now), nor have we ever sent an employee to a drug test. This is a new area for me.....

We do have a policy which states that we prohibit the trade, sale, unauthorized possession or use of drugs and alcohol on our company premises or while working. However, our policy does not address such actions outside of work. That being said, our policy does state that employees will be subject to discipline up to and including termination for offenses such as, but not limited to: using, selling, possessing, or reporting to work under the influence of alcohol, any unlawful controlled substance, or a controlled substance without a medical prescription. We also state that we have the right to inspect all of their personal possessions while on Company premises.

Does our policy allow me to send her in for testing, or do I need a specific policy for testing, too. I was thinking I need a specific policy for that.

• I just thought I'd follow up and let you know how we ended up handling the situation. The employee actually just stopped showing up for work. She did not call in or show up for three days, so per our job abandonment policy, we terminated her employment and sent a letter to her home.

I appreciate all of the feedback I received. Thanks!
  • Lisa: I'd revise your handbook and quickly. For guidelines on a Drug Free workplace, you can contact your WC carrier, local Employee Assistance Program organization, DOL, State DOL, and any number of resources. Additionally, you can contact your attorney that specializes in employment law and they will certainly have a drug policy for pre-employment and random screening.

All it takes is just one time...that is why we are here, to minimize the damage done by just that one employee.